Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Under The Covers


Okay, here's a challenge for you ~ What does your bed mean to you?

As sleep has been difficult for me for the past couple of weeks, due to nocturnal pain, I started to think about my bed and the very different roles it plays in my life.

Providing a soft landing at night when I can no longer hold my head up.

Stacks of pillows against my headboard, providing a comfortable place to peruse a book.

On my side, curled up with a feather pillow bunched under my neck and my down comforter pulled up around my shoulders ~ soft as a cloud.

The place where Don & I can whisper into the wee hours.

After a drink or two ~ my own magic carpet ride.

However, in the middle of the night when sleep eludes me, it is my own personal torture rack as my hips undulate with wave after wave of pain .... the once soft feather pillows feeling like a board against my neck which spasms sending pain radiating up the back of my head ..... crushing my arms, waking me up to pain and pins and needles from my fingers up to my collar bone .... the memory foam that invited me to snuggle in before midnight now burns every inch of my body as I turn from side to side looking for just one square foot of comfortable space ..... the down comforter which comforted me when I climbed in with warmth, coziness & security now smothers me as I endure wave after wave of hot flash, my body screaming for release or a blast of cold air to bring my temperature down.

But, at 9:00 PM after having forgotten the pains of the night before, my bed beckons, the feather pillows plumped up ~ soft & fluffy and full of air ..... the memory foam restored to normal waiting for me to make an impression ..... crisp freshly laundered 600 count supima cotton sheets with a hint of lavender water spritzed on ~ waiting to release the fragrance as I slide underneath the comforter which was shaken and fluffed this morning in preparation for another night of slumber.

Ahhhhh to sleep perchance to dream.

So what does your bed mean to you?????

5 comments:

Iris said...

My bed is also a place I read whether it be books or emails on my phone.

It also a place where I practice contortion sleep poses as I try to curl our two small dogs who don't seem to understand that it's not their bed and after I find a somewhat comfortable position I become a resting spot for the cat. He actually sleeps on which is nice in the winter when it's chilly but is uncomfortable in the summers.

It also seems to be a place where Hubby and I try to out-snore each other and then blame the other one for waking them up. lol.

julochka said...

this is a great question and i might have to compose a blog answer about it after pondering it.

is that a picture of your bedroom? it looks like it's from a magazine!! so restful and peaceful. just beautiful!

Vickie LeBlanc said...

My bed is where I read, knit, watch television (I know, I know, bad me), hide, run away, dream. Oh and yes, I also sleep in my bed :-) When I dive in those fluffy, cosy sheets I fall asleep within seconds. I guess I should'nt call it "my" bed. It's more like half-of-my-bed.

Barb said...

Julie, I wish it was my bedroom ... it it what I wish my room looked like. When I get there I'll post a picture. Barb xo

Mamato2 said...

Oh I thought it was YOUR room too and was so jealous :)
My bed is what yours is- pleasure AND pain when I am in an insomnia phase. It is also comfort for my little girl when the monsters visit :)

Printing

Print Posts