Friday, January 2, 2009

Grateful Friday

Although I start each day giving thanks for my blessings, I find it difficult to sit and verbalize just how grateful I am.

For my breath, my health, my very life.

How much can I write down before you my readers start to say "Enough already".

Today this second day of the new year of 2009, I am grateful for yet another year, the year I will turn 55 years old.

How swiftly time has sped by. It seems like only yesterday when my babes were small and yet here I am with four beautiful grand babies.

So today I am grateful for the seconds, minutes, hours, days, months, years that I have been privileged to enjoy.

Each moment pressed into the pages of my mind like a photograph to be always remembered.

Precious moments remembered such as the births of my children .... the births of my grand babies .... the death of my father ..... my wedding day ..... my first kiss ..... my first painting - my pride in that first painting ..... my daughter's beautiful face ...... pressing a seam on a quilt ..... holding a sleeping grand child in my arms ..... watching a football or hockey game cuddled on the sofa with Don .... nap time in Kindergarten beside that boy I just thought was the cats meow .... the orthopedic shoes I had to wear as a child ..... my first pair of glasses ..... watching our daughter and her new husband take their vows ..... my mother giving her first "whatever" .... the pride on Don's face when he bought his first Prelude for cash ..... Gabriella's face after eating a piece of lemon .... the look on my grandsons & Mikes face when they opened the Playstation for Christmas.

As you can see, there are so many photographs to choose from.

I am grateful that I have learned to slow down and enjoy each moment, not to rush along because there is something better ahead.

How many times as a young mother have we wished that our child would sit up, crawl, walk, talk, get potty trained, stop using a soother, stop nursing, hurry up and go to sleep, learn to dress themselves?

Why are we always in a hurry to wish our life away? These moments we wish away are so precious and quickly enough are relegated to our past where they become intangible ..... untouchable no longer a three dimensional experience but a one dimensional snapshot of that moment.

What could be better than this very second I am enjoying?

As I write this I remind myself to just BE. Enjoy whatever I am doing ... however mundane and give it my all, my very best.

So today I am thankful for this very moment.

1 comment:

Sebrina Wilson said...

This is one of the things I struggle most with. Not wishing my life away. I am not a very patient person so this one is hard. But I keep trying. Maybe that skill will come with age :)

Printing

Print Posts