Thursday, January 22, 2009

Comfort ~ Routine

This is proving to be a tough one for me as there are so many things that I routinely perform which bring me comfort. It is too difficult to choose just one, so I'll share a couple.

The process of getting my coffee ready in the morning. Blending and grinding the beans. Standing still inhaling the freshly ground coffee scent as it assails my senses. Pouring in freshly drawn cold filtered water, then adding the coffee grounds to a fresh laid filter. Waiting (not too patiently) while the coffee brews. Again the scent is overwhelming but delicious to my senses. Then when the system has informed me that it has completed the cycle ~ I pour 18% cream to a quick count of 4 into a pre-warmed cup .... then top up with coffee .... take it to my favourite chair .... snuggle back with a feather cushion & a velvet throw ...... then lift the cup to my lips .... inhale first the coffee goodness .... then take a mouthful of the delicious liquid .... over my lips .... onto my tongue waiting for that first explosion of flavour ...... all this followed by an audible ahhhh. Now that's comfort!

Gently cleansing my face. A light spritzing of French pure spring water. Massage in a skin serum. Then the application of a deliciously luxurious French cream .... feeling my skin drink in the moisture .... the gentle application of a rich eye cream ...... then seeing the glow of my skin following this morning cleansing routine. This is comfort!

Drawing a bubble bath ..... pouring in the lavender essence .... lighting the candles ..... getting out a freshly laundered white fluffy bath towel ..... putting on a CD to play quietly ..... slowly lowering myself into the scent and softness ..... laying a pillow at my neck for relaxation ..... closing my eyes and listening to the music. This too is comfort!

Sitting quietly with beautiful yarn and bamboo needles in my hands knitting, watching as the project sits on my lap, feeling the weight of it as it grows. Looking at the wound yarn on the ball and then feeling the delicious texture of the yarn as it knits up. This is comforting to me.

Well, now that I'm comfortable just thinking about all this deliciousness, let me invite you to wander over to Sherrie's blog who is hosting "Comfort Week" to see what the others who are participating in Comfort week are up to.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your routine sounds like something out of a spa! I should visit your home to be pampered. ;)

Heidi said...

Such nice comforts =) Simple but refreshing.

Sarah C said...

After reading this, I'm feeling the need to have a cup of coffee while I'm cleansing my face in the bubble bath where I'm knitting. What vivid descriptions!

Vickie LeBlanc said...

I love this one Barb. Just by reading your post I felt sqeeky clean.

Mamato2 said...

I think I need to BE you for a while :)

Amber said...

What a wonderful post. All of your descriptions are so vivid and soothing. And your coffee routine has made me realize that I need to get back into the habit of really enjoying my morning coffee. I fear that for a while I've just been going through the motions every morning and not taking the time to start my day on a positive note. Thanks so much for the inspiration.

Sherrie said...

Mmmm, I'm feeling mellow. I don't drink coffee, but you make me want to!

Printing

Print Posts