Thursday, January 15, 2009

Four More .... Three More ..... Two More

Okay, I admit it, I am not good at sticking with an exercise program.

I always start with the best of intentions, but then a week, two weeks, three weeks have gone by and suddenly I remember ....... that I have forgotten to exercise.

For some reason, exercise is just not high on my priority list although I honestly do want it to be. I want to exercise, I want to like exercising, I need to exercise, but the best laid plans .....

I have been unable to find a type of exercise that I enjoy or that I might actually remember to perform on a regular basis.

I tried swimming, but I really am quite afraid of water.
I tried walking - works well in spring and fall, but I don't like walking in frigid cold weather and I can't handle the heat in the summer. Walking in the heat just quadruples the hot flashes.
I tried biking, but man, that seat hurts my butt.
I tried yoga - you all know the story there, although I still try to remember to do a few stretches each morning.
I tried weight lifting but the repetition aggravates the arthritis in my AC clavicular joints.
I'm not interested in golf, squash, tennis, racket ball or any other sport that requires me to chase an insanely small ball around a court, rink or acres of grass interrupted only by sand pits or water holes into which the ball might fall and where I would be required to play said ball from where it lays. Not in my lifetime!!!!

I've come to the conclusion that in order to successfully follow an exercise program one must be genetically programmed to actually enjoy exercising. No one in my family is into exercising although one brother does enjoy golfing, but the rest of us are confirmed non-exercisers. Don's family are all very athletic, his three brothers are triathletes, his father was a varsity football star and then for many years was a competitive bowler.

So you either got it or you don't and I don't.

Although I must admit, I can work up a good sweat going eating a meal. LOL

So with these thoughts in mind, I submit these words found today on my daughters blog.

"Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate"

2 comments:

Vickie LeBlanc said...

Barb - when I read those words on Sebrina's blog yesterday I so fell in love with that quote. I've printed it out and it's now on my computer where I can see it all day. I love it.

Maybe you could try exercising with the Wii Fit. You can control the cold and heat; no hurting seats; no grass, sand or water... and I think the yoga program is pretty balanced.

The key to exercise is "motivation".

My best and most favorite form of exercise is walking outside (I don't really like walking on a treadmill or in a gym). I can walk in extreme cold temps but like you I hate walking in hotflash hot.

Sebrina Wilson said...

lol, gotta love that quote!

I try to do active things that I enjoy. Like yoga stetches and walking/runnning. I bring Zoey with me when I walk/run so that I am getting two things done at once. And I always walk through the woods, that makes me happy. Why not just take Chelsea for a brisk walk every day? You have that lovely ravine. Just don't call it exercise, that is a dirty word.

Printing

Print Posts