Monday, June 2, 2008

World Without End

This hefty 1,014 page novel has captured my imagination as I have sat hour after hour devouring each and every word and page of this magnificent piece of literature.

The dust bunnies running around my floors have turned into rabbits as I take a hiatus from housecleaning while I continue to read my way through the love, the hate, the wars, the greed, the deceptions, the births and the deaths of this book. My only concern with the speed with which I am reading is that too soon it will be over.

Having read Ken Follett's "Pillars of the Earth" a sweeping epic novel set in twelfth-century England which centres on the building of a cathedral and the lives affected by it, I could not wait to get my hands on this sequel.

World Without End takes place in the same town of Kingsbridge, two centuries after the townspeople finished building the cathedral and centres on four characters who find themselves at a crossroad of new ideas about medicine, commerce, architecture, and justice. In a world where advocates of the old ways fiercely battle those with progressive ideas, the intrigue and tension come to a climax as the greatest natural disaster ever to strike the human race .... the Black Death sweeps across Europe.

I could write a very lengthy bio about this book, but you absolutely must read it for yourself.

Do you enjoy history, do you enjoy colourful characters .... let Ken Follett's lusty characters absorb you into their lives and take you back to 14th century England for a ride you won't soon forget.

Three years in the writing, and nearly eighteen years since its' predecessor, World Without End has earned this author (in my opinion) his place in history with the masters of classic literature.

There is not much more I can say except .... WOW!!!!

1 comment:

Phyllis Hunt McGowan said...

I love a good book review.
"The dust bunnies running around my floors have turned into rabbits" this is the best thing that Ken Follett could hear from a reader :)
I love very lengthy novels, to get lost in them.
I'll check it out.

Printing

Print Posts