Saturday, June 14, 2008

Happy Fathers Day To Three Special Men

Happy Father's Day to the three very special men in my life this Father's Day weekend.

First to my dad, who always provided me a good home, strong moral examples and some fun along the way.

My dad as a published author is always in his office writing, writing, writing. Even at his great age of 88, he still pumps out book after book and manages to write, publish and send a newsletter around the world every month (by snail mail not email).

Many memories come to mind from my childhood - memories of going to his office when I was very young and getting to sit on the President's desk, memories of going to hear the Toronto Symphony orchestra with just my dad, memories of him hard at work writing, memories of him drawing quick little pictures for me.

Memories came fast and furious when I stopped this weekend to think of my father and of my childhood. Many always makes me smile.

One year on our way to Florida we stopped to pick up some take out. Daddy came back to the car with the trays of food, handing it out with a stern warning not to spill anything, We all sat enjoying our food and then suddenly he leaned over to get something and .... oooops over went a very large glass of pop all over the front seat. I remember my brother sat up and said in a rather loud voice "Sure glad that wasn't me". We still laugh about that till this day.

On another trip to Florida, we stopped at a restaurant for quick lunch. I remember we all sat a counter - diner style (remember this was the 60's). I had fries on my plate and wanted ketchup, so my dad handed me the bottle of ketchup. I picked it up and gave it a shake. Unfortunately the last user did not twist the cap on tight enough and I remember the cap slowly tipping off as the ketchup flew from the bottle across the counter and right up the drapes on a window at the side of the counter. That little accident gave my dad a good belly laugh.

Another time after church on Sunday my dad took us all down to the King Edward hotel in Toronto (a very nice restaurant) for lunch. When lunch was over we ordered sundaes. One wasn't enough for my dad so he reached across the table to help himself to my mom's. She swatted his hand and the cherry he was after bounced right off the table and continued on its' journey across the restaurant.

The scene in Pretty Woman when Julia Roberts bounces the escargot across the restaurant is a vivid reminder of that episode.

My dad as a writer and published author, taught me the value of books and instilled in me a love of the written word. I love words, reading words, understanding words, being able to spell words, writing words - thanks Dad and Happy Father's Day.

The next man in my life is Don - my husband.

You are a wonderful dad to my children and the best poppa to our grandchildren.

Although not my childrens biological dad he has shown them love, respect and yes financial support as a father would. I remember watching him pace each time Sebrina went into labour and saw the pain etched on his face until his girl was delivered.

His love for Sebrina and her children is unparalled and he has always been a good friend to my son Todd.

Here he is with his two favourite girls who he just adores. Thanks for being such a great dad and Happy Father's Day to you too.

Then Mike, Sebrina's husband and my son-in-law.

Mike, you are like a son to me. I love you for the way you love my girl, and for the wonderful father I have watched you grow into.

Ryan, Jayden, Zander and Gabriella could not have asked for a better dad.

Happy Father's Day!!!

1 comment:

Phyllis Hunt McGowan said...

Fine tribute to the men in your life.
You've got a way with words, especially when you're talking about family and those closest to you.

Printing

Print Posts