Tuesday, June 3, 2008

These Shoes Were Made for Walking

After reading The Elementary's post on shoes, I decided to take a look in my closet and to my surprise, I found that I actually own 15 pairs of shoes, not counting my Crocs and my hot tub jellies ..... oh a new pair of Clarke's sandals that are coming on Friday. So I guess that is actually 18 pairs. Oooops, nearly forgot, I've also got 3 pairs of winter boots.

It was ironic that The Elementary did this post, as Sebrina and I had been talking about shoes on Sunday over dinner. How many did I have, how many did she have, how many are enough and then the big one .... the friend with the over 50 shoe wardrobe.

Having very problematic feet .... (fused toes on both feet, bone spurs, arthritis in all my toes and ankles as well as plantar faciitis which rears its' ugly head from time to time), I do not enjoy nor do I go out shoe shopping very often. It is very seldom that I can get a pair of shoes that are totally comfortable.

Most of my shoes come from the Rockport, Clarke or the Naturalizer lines and unfortunately fall into the over $75.00 a pair price, due to my painful feet. One pair of sandals is a custom orthortic sandal which thank goodness we had coverage for 50% as they cost $500.00. I do have a couple of cute sandals which were under $50.00, but they were quite comfortable, so I succumbed.

So, I ask myself, do I really need all these shoes?

The patent flats on top were purchased for my brother-in-laws wedding, so have been worn once and have now been in their box since last November. As well, the pewter sandals on top were purchased for another brother-in-laws wedding this August, so they have not come out of their box yet.

What possesses me to require so many shoes? Now I'm not saying that 18 is an exorbitant amount ... remember my friend with between 50 and 60 pairs, but what exactly is the necessity of even 18 pairs. That is almost 3 weeks worth at a different pair each day.

As long as I am comfortable and the shoes protect my feet, why do I feel the need to keep adding to my wardrobe.

Having numerous pairs of shoes certainly seems to be a girlie thing ... my husband only has 3 pairs of dress shoes, 1 pair of jogging shoes, 1 pair of casual lace ups and 2 pairs of working around the house shoes.

So, should I try to get rid of some, after all I can't wear them all at once, can I?

I am no further ahead than when I started this post. I have all these shoes, want all these shoes, like all these shoes and darn it all keep buying more.

What's a girl to do............

2 comments:

Vickie LeBlanc said...

Girl, you are going to keep doing what you were born to do - ''Born to buy shoes''. That's what's on a mug I got my daughter for Christmas. It would be scary to count and post the pair of shoes she owns...

Phyllis Hunt McGowan said...

"I am no further ahead than when I started this post."
-As was I when I did mine- there is no easy answer!
You took a beautiful photograph! Mine were all higgedly piggedly while you put yours into a charming circle :)
I think so little about shoes that I don't appreciate how difficult it must be to be comfortable when you have problems. It sounds very painful and I'm sorry you are going through that.
That made me think a lot.

Printing

Print Posts