Wednesday, June 11, 2008

A Little Quilting Update


Here is the first block for my new quilt.

The log cabin pattern is the template I eventually went with after searching through many, many quilting books for ideas. Each block has 21 pieces and finished measures 13 x 13.

Rather than set the blocks square in the quilt, I am going to set them on point, which means they will look like a diamond rather than a square. This picture below shows how the blocks will be set in the quilt. If you can imagine the floor as the square quilt, you see that the blocks look like a diamond against the square shape.


So far, I have made 15 squares, but this is the only one that has the full 5 rounds of 1" strips, the rest are still at 3.

With regard to the quilting pattern, for example, stitch-in-the-ditch or random machine quilting, or tied, or hand quilting, what I will back it with, etc ...... well, I just haven't gotten that far in the thought process yet. Besides I'm having way too much fun right now piecing.

It took me quite a while to decide on the pattern for the quilt, but after completing one square, I am very happy with the result.

2 comments:

COLLEEN said...

The fabric you are using is beautiful Barb and seems very much in keeping with the style of your home. Very much you. I can't wait to see the finished product; but you are so wise to enjoy the "process" instead of focusing on the end result. Enjoy and have fun with it!

Vickie LeBlanc said...

Log cabin quilts are always so beautiful, no matter what design you go with. Your fabric is so nice and I agree with Colleen - it's very much you and your home (just by the pictures I've seen on your blog). Enjoy the process of piecing your masterpiece (yes, for me a quilt is a work of art). Keep us posted.

Printing

Print Posts