Friday, November 14, 2008

Grateful Friday

Last night Don's dad was rushed to the hospital for an erratic heartbeat and he was apathetic ..... not easily roused by his mom. We still don't know what is wrong, however he has suffered from Parkinson's for years and his symptoms have worsened over the past year.

After staying wakeful all night waiting to hear from Don while he spent the night at the hospital with his dad, I have realized that this day I am very grateful for my health and happiness.

We all take our health for granted ... filling out bodies with overly processed foods, white & bleached flours and sugars ..... allowing our children to eat candies and fast foods that are loaded with food colouring ... high fructose corn syrup ... preservatives ... not exercising.

Do you ever write down in one day just exactly what you eat? How much good old cooking do we actually eat? Steel cut oats, fresh fruit and vegetables, homemade soups made from chicken or turkey carcass, homemade breads, seasonally canned fruits and vegetables? Remember how our grandmothers used to cook .... that is what we should strive for in our eating habits today.

I too am guilty of eating incorrectly many times, not moving when my arthritis or fibromyalgia is flaring and picking up store made breads and fast foods when I just don't feel like cooking.

I am going to commit this week to making my own bread. I have a bread machine which I can make bread with very easily, so that is my first commitment towards better health. Next week I'll work on another.


As a little side note, I saw my orthopaedic surgeon on Wednesday for my one year checkup on my knee replacement. He was very happy with my knee and does not want to see me again. My daughter jokingly said "He broke up with me". This is one relationship I am not sad to see over.

So today I am sending a thank you to my creator for my good health and my happiness.

Thank you !!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

julochka said...

good resolution!!! we've been talking about being more committed to healthy eating around here as well! weird how this stuff is in the air.

i'm going to make bread today too!

happy weekend!
/julie

Printing

Print Posts