Sunday, March 1, 2009

Remembrance

This day is the second anniversary from the first day I saw my precious granddaughter ~ Gabriella.

This to the left is Gabriella in my arms with a couple of other children in the orphanage.

Along with that wonderful memory come the sharp, cutting images that are impressed on my memory of Africa and her pain.

Today I am thankful to Gabriella's Enat (birth mom) for the enormous sacrifice she made in giving up her child. I cannot imagine the hole it must have left in her heart.

Only through her unselfish sacrifice were we able to bring this amazing child into our lives.

I remember all that I witnessed there ....
the terrible living conditions ....
the number of orphaned children living in the streets ....
the extreme poverty set against extreme wealth ....
the struggle of so many people.


Then there is her breathtaking beauty which is in stark contrast with her poverty.




















Terrible living conditions .... not enough food .... little to no wages for many.














But still I was uplifted in this country at the joyfulness of these people ....
their generosity .....
their willingness to always help.

But always when I look in the face of this beautiful girl ~ my granddaughter ~ I will remember Africa, the impression she left on me and the place in my heart that she touched.

4 comments:

Sebrina Wilson said...

Can't believe it's been two years.. where does the time go!

COLLEEN said...

i love the photo of you with the children from the orphanage Barb. you are offering them up so much love. beautiful.

Mamato2 said...

You are a very lucky and loving Grammy!!

Mamato2 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Printing

Print Posts