Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Re-Connecting

When I was a child I was very close to my cousin Patsy. My mom has one sister and this is her oldest daughter. She was like a sister to me. We visited frequently, had sleep overs and just generally enjoyed each others company. Pat was 2 1/2 years younger than me so our closeness in age gave us many things in common. My sisters were much older and younger (11 years and 8 years), so the age gap was a detriment to enjoying friendship as children.

Recently at my dad's funeral I saw Pat for the first time in many, many years.

She and her husband Brian gave up everything here in Canada to move to China many years ago.

After going to Africa with my daughter, I feel the tug of this country deep within my heart and I long to go back to help in any way, so I understand a little of the what drew Pat and Brian to China.

I have so much respect for this woman who I loved deeply as a child as she and Brian work in China to help those less fortunate.

What a gift to be able to give so completely of yourself to a country in need.

Here is Pat (left) and my youngest sister Vicki with me.


These are a few pictures that show the beauty as well as the harshness of this country Pat has chosen to make her home.


Pat, Brian and a friend.











YUMMY!!!!




3 comments:

Sebrina Wilson said...

Beautiful Pictures!!!!

Vickie LeBlanc said...

Thanks Barb for sharing the pictures. I agree - yummy !!!!! from the food picture. Eek.

Chris said...

Very interesting Barb! Reconnecting must be in the air these days. How nice for you cousins to spend some time again together. I need to e-mail you about some of the comments you made!!

Printing

Print Posts