Sunday, September 7, 2008

Planet Earth

Have you seen the Planet Earth series yet?

If you haven't ... you must put this on your "to do list".

My mother and I have spent a lazy weekend watching three dvd's from this series. Never in my life have I seen such incredible photography. Breathtaking scenery that held me in rapt attention and moved me to tears of joy at the beauty that is .... Our Planet Earth.

One segment was devoted to the mating rituals of the Bird of Paradise. The photographer sat in a "hide" for over 118 hours to get one shot of the male putting on his most interesting dance to attract the female.

This series has to be seen to be believed.

What the cameramen of BBC/Discovery Channel have captured through their sheer perseverance in remote locations are scenes and images never seen before and shown with amazing clarity and intense beauty.

Five years, 62 countries and 204 locations are what it took to make this series.

Closeup photographs of birds that show every feather, photographs of the sand dunes & patterns created on the desserts by sand storms, time lapse photography of the growth patterns on the rain forest floor. Photographs of underground caves and the beauty that they keep captive in their depths. Stalagmites and stalactites shimmering like diamonds, beautiful underwater rivers and lakes that harbour acids so lethal any living thing that falls in is instantly stripped. And then as an added bonus 150 minutes of behind the scenes documentary of exactly how difficult these shoots were.

As I write this I am watching a show put on by the Aurora Borealis, which is so incredible, it almost looks unreal as though computer generated. Shades of aqua in a silky purple night sky, over lavender glaciers. STUNNING!

The series is narrated by Sir David Attenborough and he does an incredible job.

I've shown a few photographs below from the series ... however they don't do justice to this magnificent series.





2 comments:

julochka said...

that IS a great series. they broadcast it here last year at this time and i bought it for my parents. you're right, it's absolutely stunning and always makes me not feel guilty about spending time in front of the t.v. :-)

COLLEEN said...

yes, yes, yes, I totally agree. I have seen bits of it on Oprah and I absolutely MUST see the entire series.

Printing

Print Posts