Tuesday, August 5, 2008

What a Lucky Girl

Following my dad's death and my mom's desire to move in with Don and me, she is passing along to us - her children a great deal of her belongings ... most of which were already earmarked for us.

I am very lucky to be the recipient of a beautiful painting called "The Sheep Dipper" by Ernest Walbourne, a sea captain born in England in 1879 and died in 1920, so the story goes that has been passed down in my family starting with my great great aunt Margaret who originally purchased the painting. There is very little information to be found on Mr. Walbourne but his paintings are in demand.

These are a couple of his pieces which have gone up for sale over the years, so I was able to trace some of his work.

My painting has never been out of our family since the late 1800's, when it was purchased in England by my great great aunt. It was passed to her daughter, then my grandfather, then my mother and now it has recently arrived in my possession.

I have not had a chance yet to take a picture of it, but will do so in the next couple of days and post it.

It is breathtaking .... however I will have to change the frame. It still has the original frame made of wood with carved plaster detail. Unfortunately quite a few pieces of the plaster have broken away which really detracts from the picture which is where the focus should be.

It is still a stunning picture though and I feel privileged to have this beautiful piece of history in my home.

Mr. Walbourne's paintings are all pastoral and are so calm and tranquil to look at.

Can't wait to share my painting with you.

As well, I inherited a beautiul Fischer Bergere chair which also belonged to my great great aunt. It is going to a furniture restoration company to be rebuilt and recovered, so I'll share that with you when it returns.

So as I said .... I am a lucky girl!!!!

No comments:

Printing

Print Posts