Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Across the Miles

Years ago when my dog Jake was diagnosed with Diabetes, Don went on line to research how we could help him rather than euthanize which the vet had suggested.

Fortunately for us we met Chris, a dear, dear lady in Alberta who also had a dog with Diabetes and Cushings disease.

I have never met Chris, but already I feel like she is a very dear friend. We shared a great deal of medical information, she offered us her support and generally just got to know each other via the Internet.

There are so many horror stories of people being taken advantage of through chat rooms on the Internet and I wanted to share a happy, positive story.

Through the past four years Chris, Don and I have shared quite a lot. We lost our Jake three years and ago and then just one month ago today, Chris lost Midas her beloved golden lab. She grieved with us and we grieved with her. Losing a pet leaves such a gap in one's life.

Then through my dad's illness and death, Chris and I got even closer. She shared my sadness, held my hand across the miles and Internet.

Chris and I share so many interests and seem to view life similarly.

As you know I love quilts and quilting and Chris sent me this picture of a beautiful quilt that she made for a friends' grandson.

Her geometric pattern is lovely and of course it's blue which is my favourite colour.

I have also met Vickie through the Internet and she and I have enjoyed a friendship even though I haven't met her yet. She become the recipient of my first quilt and I became the recipient of wonderful feelings of fullness when I gifted her the quilt. It truly is more blessed to give than to receive.

So carefully chosen, there are wonderful people around the world that can add richness to our lives and become hopefully lifelong friends.

I look forward to the day when I will meet both Vickie and Chris.

Here's to both of you my dear new friends.

4 comments:

Sebrina Wilson said...

Beautiful quilt!

Name: Ali said...

r.i.p. Jakey poo. :) i miss you!

I agree with Seb, wonderful quilt.

Chris said...

Oh! Very cool! I continue to be surprised when I check your blog! Thanks so much for sharing Barb! And I hope to meet you and Don someday too. Actually in our book club we just read a book called 'The Next Thing on My list' which involved something like a 'bucket list'. The girl who chose the book asked that we make a list of things we would like to do and with it being so soon after losing Midas I couldn't come up with anything. BUT my husband suggested that one thing on the list should be to meet 'my friends in Toronto'. I have to agree!

Vickie LeBlanc said...

Barb - every time I read your blog my heart feels so warm and comforted by what you say. Thanks so much for mentioning our friendship in this post. I am hoping that we'll meet in the next year or so. A trip to Ontario is in order.

Thank you so much for your friendship and for taking the first step by leaving me a comment on my blog.

Printing

Print Posts