Friday, August 8, 2008

As Promised

As promised here is the beautiful picture I received from my mom.

It is called "The Sheep Dipper" by Ernest Walbourne.

I am in a quandary as to whether I should have this reframed or restored. By removing this original frame, I know I would decrease the value of this piece of art, but if you blow it up you can see it has a couple of pieces of the plaster than have broken off.

As I have no intention of selling it, I am tempted to reframe. I feel these very ornate frames take the focus away from the painting itself and after all the painting should be the focus not the frame. But these ornate frames were the style back in the 1800/1900's when this picture was painted.

Hope you enjoy this beauty as much as I am each and every day I look at it. I aplogize for the blurriness of the picture, I could not seem to get this to come out clear .... I tried at least 5 shots, with the flash, without the flash, with all the lights on in the living room - all to no avail.

The colours in this painting are so lovely and the subject is so tranquil ... it makes me feel peaceful to sit and look at it for a few minutes each day.

2 comments:

COLLEEN said...

I LOVE this painting. So beautiful and idyllic. I wish I lived in that painting.
:-)
I think you should go with your gut instinct on this one. You are not intending to sell it so I think you should make it beautiful for you. If that involves re-framing, then that is what you should do. I agree that a simple frame would allow the painting to stand out more.

julochka said...

it is a wonderful, calming painting, i can see why you love it. i'd talk to a framer and see what they say about whether they can restore the frame, if they can't do it and make it look good, then frame it to suit you! it's you who's going to enjoy it!! :-)

Printing

Print Posts