Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Why Do I Blog?

I have been blogging now for almost one year. My first entry was on June 6th, 2007.

When friends or family have discovered that I am blogging, they have asked, "Why do you blog? .... Just exactly what do you get out of it?"

Let me try to answer that question.

This world of blogging is a wonder to me, somewhat like looking up into the heavens. There is no end to the millions of words to be devoured in "blogland". So many different people journaling just like me, sharing their life and views.

Throughout this time I have thoroughly enjoyed exploring different areas of thought, sharing pictures and feelings about my family, sharing my crafting adventures, views on decorating, dressing, a little creative writing and offering my thoughts on a more natural approach to living and health.

Although I don't have the following that some bloggers do, I appreciate the few who regularly come for a visit and leave a comment. Isn't this world a wonderful way to meet people from all over the world? I recently had a visitor to my blog from Denmark. We have exchanged comments and I so enjoy her views on her life and travel.

We are so privileged to live right now and have access to this wonderful technology that gives us the ability to converse with others around the world. Without leaving my home, I can watch travel videos, see other countries through the eyes of fellow bloggers and get to know them through the words in their blogs. With a webcam and Skype we can even call around the world and chat face to face. And yet just two generations back were witnesses to the introduction of the automobile, air travel, the telephone, the television ... things we all take for granted.

There are a few other blogs that I follow religiously, and I'd like to think, made some wonderful blogging friends. My morning coffee just isn't complete without reading the words of these friends blogs.

Recently I offered the quilt I have been making (which doesn't quite fit with my decor) to one of my blog friends. Her enthusiastic comments each and every time I posted a picture of my progress on this my first quilt always made my day and encouraged me to continue on my quilting adventure. Although we have never met I feel a kinship with this person and look forward to the day when we might meet.

I enjoy this forum where I share my feelings on books I have read, movies I have watched and hope in some very small way that my words encourage someone who happens by for a quick visit. I do not post to get comments, but they certainly help to reinforce why I continue to write and share my thoughts and feelings on certain subjects.

I would like to share here below the beautiful reply I received from my friend in response to my offer of the quilt:


OH MY GOD !!!! Barb, I can't believe my eyes as I am reading this email (actually, I'm having a hard time reading because of the tears in my eyes at the moment). Seriously, my heart is pounding 100 miles an hour. I am so excited, thrilled, happy and all those words that you are offering your first quilt to me - I am speechless. But most of all I am so very touched of such a kind, selfless act that you are doing.

But Barb, are you sure you want to part with it !!!!! believe me, it will be very much cherished and used. I am a firm believer that those possessions we love and cherish so much are meant to be used and enjoy the love we feel from those treasures.

And yes, from the first time I set my eyes on your quilt I fell in love with the blue colors in it.
OK, I have to take 5 deep breaths and get a Kleenex.

Thank you a million times.

Keep in touch.


This is why I blog!!!

2 comments:

Phyllis Hunt McGowan said...

I really like to read different views on why people blog. This is a good one. You do it because it connects you to people whom you can be kind to, and to share thoughts with. I didn't know what blogs were until I started one- really- and I'm grateful to have found such wonderful blogs and the people behind them. You always leave an absolute treasure of a thought on my blog,something kind and generous, and I'm grateful for that. Keep writing!
Cheers.

COLLEEN said...

Oh Wow Barb, you are so sweet! Vickie truly will cherish your quilt forever. What an amazing gift.

Printing

Print Posts