Wednesday, April 9, 2008

An Attitude of Gratitude

Are you grateful for what you have???

I do not get out of bed in the morning without expressing my gratitude for the day, for my fortune in life, for my family, for my friends, for my home, for my health.

This week my health has been particularly poignant for me.

Friends of ours endured the gut wrenching wait through four hours of brain surgery on their eight year old daughter. She had a benign but growing brain tumour which was causing her to seizure.

Fortunately all went well and she actually came home yesterday.

Then on Monday my sister Fran called to say that hubby Bob was admitted to hospital with pneumonia and pancreatitis.

How fortunate I am to have my health. I guard it well with a good diet (although I do succumb to carbohydrates rather frequently - my guilty sin), herbal supplements, probiotics and EFA's. I am not so much a medical community person, but always look towards the natural world before I see an MD. Regular chiropractic adjustments, I believe keep me quite well by keeping my spine in perfect alignment and allowing all my life force to flow up and down feeding my entire body with its' energy.

As previous posts have said, I do suffer from fibromyalgia (FM) and arthritis but I am fortunate in my life to be able to stay home and take good care of my body. The lack of career stress helps me maintain a modicum of control over my fibromyalgia.

I have a strong belief that when one door closes another one opens. I have a very optimistic and positive attitude about life. I don't worry about the future ... the future will take care of itself. I try very hard to live in the present moment because that is really all that we have.

My husband, Don came into my life 23 years ago after a divorce. I do believe that our relationship was meant to be. He has been my angel as the FM and arthritis has taken away a great deal of abilities over the past 20 years. He has worked to give us a comfortable life and is wonderfully understanding and helpful when I need it. When I had my knee surgery, he took time off work and looked after me with cooking, cleaning, nursing and just being there.

So for Don, I am so grateful.

My family ... how blessed I am. Two healthy children and four beautiful, healthy grandchildren. The love expressed by my grandchildren whenever I visit is so sweet. I can't go anywhere without Gabriella following me and wanting me to pick her up. When I sit on the sofa one if not all three of the boys clamour around to snuggle. When we sit down to eat there are arguments about who will sit beside Poppa and Mammy. Then when it's time to leave, the begging starts .. "Why can't you stay" "Can you come back" "You could stay and sleep in our bed". Their love is quite sweet and innocent and makes my heart ache with love for them.

My heart swells with pride for my daughter whose parenting skills are unsurpassed. I always considered myself a good parent, but Sebrina's devotion to her children puts me to shame. I saw in Ethiopia how much her life is intertwined with her children. They are her very breath.

And what would my life be without my dear friends. Friends with whom we can enjoy lovely, leisurely meals and fellowship. A friend who is always there if I call and need to just chat.

I am so grateful for my home, more so since having visited Ethiopia when my daughter adopted Gabriella.

Having a roof over my head that protects me from the elements of our harsh Canadian weather, the ability to get in my car and drive to the grocery store to buy whatever I need ... how fortunate I am. Thousands sleep in the streets and beg for every scrap of food they eat in Ethiopia.

I am so rich in love from family and friends, rich with lovely surroundings, rich with what is stocked in my kitchen and rich in good health.

So with an attitude of gratitude I start this day and send out my thanks to the universe for blessing me with all of my riches.

5 comments:

Vickie LeBlanc said...

Barb - this is so beautifully put into words. Sometimes (just for a little bit) we forget how lucky we are, especially if we have good health. Health issues can affect so many aspects of our lives. I agree with you 100% that the future will take care of itself and you can't take back yesterday... this is where my mantra comes from "Celebrate Life".

Sebrina Wilson said...

It's funny that you posted this. I took the kids for a walk this morning and I was thinking how grateful I am for my life, my health, my home, my children, my husband, my family.

COLLEEN said...

Love this post Barb; all your words ring so true.

Phyllis Hunt McGowan said...

I too love this post. I just found your blog this morning, and had to comment. Appreciation of our lives is so important and you put it eloquently.

julochka said...

very cool blog you have...with musings on gratitude AND knitting! :-) i'm hooked already! i'll definitely be back!

Printing

Print Posts