Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Yikes - This is Scary

Okay, this post is to express my extreme discomfort with the Medical/Pharmaceutical community, and the chemicals so freely given out.

Think for just a moment about the crisis we are reaching with super bugs and why this has happened. Thanks to the Medical/Pharmaceutical industries overuse of antibiotics, we now have superbugs that do not respond to any antibiotic on the market today.

Today while I was having my lunch a commercial came on for a new birth control product called "SEASONIQUE®".

Never having been in favour of birth control pills because of the fact that they interfere with the bodies natural ovulation cycle, I was completely shocked when I listened to this commercial and it's very slick marketing enticing women to try their exciting new product. Their targeted audience ... women who are tired or do not want to deal with monthly menstruation cycles. By using this product, they can eliminate 8 cycles a year. This is shocking to me!!!! How can anyone with reasonable thinking capacity possibly think that eliminating or suppressing 8 menstruation cycles a year is safe to their female reproductive system.

Prescription chemicals scare the daylights out of me when I read the side effects, when I think of what they are doing to my body, but this commercial really got my attention when a wonderful positive spin was placed on interfering with the female reproductive system.

Why on earth would anyone want to have a period every month when all they need to do is take this birth control pill and voila only one period every 4 months.

Here's a little of their information from their site about this product.

"When you’re on a birth control pill, the period you get every month isn’t a real period. It’s what’s called a “Pill” period. When you take a birth control pill, you don't have a menstrual cycle—your body doesn't prepare for pregnancy because you don't ovulate. As a result, your uterine lining doesn't build up, so there's no need to shed it. This is the reason you don’t need to bleed every month when you take the Pill."

This is an extended-regimen birth control pill—which means it’s designed to lengthen the time between your periods so you have fewer periods—once every 3 months instead of every month. The easiest way to explain how its extended regimen works is to compare it with a typical monthly birth control pill.

And of course this products carries all the risks and complications of any other synthetic hormone products, blood clots, stroke, heart attack, etc....

How smart is this - messing around with what nature intends our body to do each month ... prepare our womb to carry a life.

Women consistently suppressing their ovulation is providing a wonderful financial opportunity for fertility clinics & egg donors.

There are so many other methods of birth control that are safer to our reproductive systems. I realize, they may be a little more inconvenient, maybe not quite as effective as the pill, but what is more important - your ultimate long term health or a few moments of inconvenience.

I'd like to pause here to interject a little personal history with hormone replacement therapy.

Having been surgically forced into menopause about 10 years ago I have been on a journey through prescription synthetic hormones and the subsequent effects to my body.

Pregnant mares urine - really now - am I a horse????? Not to mention the cruel conditions under which these mares are kept in order to continue collecting their urine for menopausal women.

Along the way as I journeyed towards my optimum health, I discovered a wonderful doctor - Dr. Alvin Pettle, an M.D. who believes in a more natural approach to menopause. He introduced me to natural progesterone / estrogen which gives the same benefits as the synthetics hormones. Bio-identical hormones are made from botanical plants such as soy and yams. The human body is not able to convert soy or yams directly into natural hormones, so the natural plants are processed by a chemist to produce natural bio-identical progesterone and bio-identical Bi-Est and Tri-Est, the estrogens. The body responds to the hormones as if they were the naturally produced hormones of the body, rather than a foreign substance which occurs when synthetic hormones are introduced.

Although this is a little off the path I originally started on, it shows that there are natural ways to treat most any health issue, so why not view our needs for birth control in a more natural way, instead of suppressing the very part that makes us unique as women.

Carpenters have a saying, "Measure twice, cut once." Let's apply a similar principle to our health .... research & then research again before you rush to the doctor to get a chemical solution which only suppresses the health problem and does not treat what might have caused that problem to start with. Understand your health issues before you see that doctor, research the ways you can treat it (the Internet is a treasure trove of information), then make an informed decision.

6 comments:

Sebrina Wilson said...

yikes!! that is disturbing!

COLLEEN said...

You have done a wonderful job here in laying out the information women need to make "informed" decisions about their bodies. I am sure many women will read this post of yours and research further before they jump on the pharmaceutical bandwagon. It's not enough to tell women what NOT to do; but they also need to be shown the path of what they CAN do to make a difference in their own lives. Bravo Barb.

Vickie LeBlanc said...

Ekk, thanks for posting. I read the entire thing ''twice''.

Phyllis Hunt McGowan said...

Thank you for this. Not only are such things potentially damaging to a woman, but for the children they may have later on, I think it's a risk. After all, if you're messing about with cycles and the body, who knows what might happen. I just posted about medication too, but on a different subject.
I'm glad you wrote this. It's so important to know, if common sense doesn't do it for us.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Barb said...

May I say rssy, I did not intend to offend anyone with this post.

I was so horrified by this product and what it does to the female body that I felt the need to vent a little.

I still agree that conventional medicine has its place, and I do still see my doctor and handle natural remedies only with great care and under the direction of a professional.

Thank you for you comment. Barb

Printing

Print Posts