Sunday, April 6, 2008

Memories of Long Ago Knitting

Do you remember when wool came in hanks like this rather than the ready wound balls so commonly found in craft stores today?

I have recently starting working with lovely Alpacas, Peruvian and Merino wools ordered through online wool manufacturers.

My last purchase was 500 grams of natural cream colored Peruvian wool straight off the sheep (well - washed, carded, spun and plied, of course) and very soft with the cushioned feel of hand spun.

How surprised I was when it arrived to see the large tied and twisted hank of wool ready to be wound into a ball for me to start knitting.

This took me back to my childhood when my mother would have me sit on the floor with her wool around both of my hands, rhythmically swinging my arms back and forth while she slowly wrapped the wool around her fingers to start the ball, then took that small roll off her fingers to start the ball. I got quite proficient at dropping my hand at just the right time to prevent the yarn from tangling in my fingers. We worked in synchronization ... me swaying my arms back and forth and she methodically wrapping the yarn around and around first in one direction and then in the other until this perfectly round ball of yarn was created and ready for her needles.

Last night I sat with my husband with the hanks draped across his hands, trying to show him how to rhythmically move his arms back and forth to my wrapping so the yarn wouldn't get caught in his fingers.

I think we need to work on winding a few more hanks before he gets the hang of it.

I did however get three balls wound and they are patiently sitting in my knitting basket with my bamboo needles for my next knitting project, but first I must finish my coat which is almost complete, about 3 inches left on the collar, then sew it together and hopefully I will get to wear it before the weather gets too warm.

This is the vest that I will use the newly wound balls of Peruvian wool for.

It's just so hard to look at the beautiful yarn sitting my basket with the needles, almost taunting me to pick them and start casting on the stitches.

Maybe I'll just cast on the stitches for the back, knit an inch or so to see how it knits up and then put it back the basket.

Oh .... who am I kidding, if I cast them on I'll just keep knitting until the back is done.

I may need knitting therapy .... I can't control myself when I see beautiful yarns, and then to feel that beautiful yarn run through my fingers as my bamboo needles click, click with each stitch that is made.

I love knitting, casting on the stitches, starting that first row of pattern, seeing the shape grow before my eyes, feeling the weight of the garment on my lap as I work the yoke or sew it together and then the pièce de résistance ..... trying on my new creation .... ahhh heaven.

No comments:

Printing

Print Posts