Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Six Months Later


Here are MY pictures from a much anticipated six month checkup with my orthopaedic surgeon today.

The first x-ray is my knee pre-surgery.

As I cannot understand the shadings and variations on an x-ray, the doctor explained to me that this picture displayed severe Grade 4 arthritis which is about as bad as it gets. There is no cure and no getting better from Grade 4 arthritis.

And here is the new and improved picture of my knee after the surgery showing my bionic knee.

It has taken me a while to feel comfortable looking at this, knowing that I have an artificial prosthesis in me, but I've finally arrived, so I felt comfortable sharing my insides with you.

Although my fibromyalgia has impeded my progress, I have still done very well in my therapy surpassing the 120 degree bend threshold.

Today the doctor bent my knee, extended it and was very pleased with my abilities at this checkup. As well, he was very happy to see how the keloid scarring has gone done and flattened out somewhat thanks to the multitude of acupuncture treatments I have had directly into the scar.

So no more checkups with the doctor for another six months and as well I have dropped down to one physio-therapy treatment a week.

Tonight I feel that I deserve a little bubbly to celebrate crossing this monumental milestone.

2 comments:

Vickie LeBlanc said...

I hear ya when you say it took you a while to feel comfortable looking at the picture of your bionic knee. I feel the exact same way about these things...

Grade 4 arthritis - you must have been in severe pain. However, it must be very comforting to see the improvements you've made.

Have some extra bubbly, you deserve every drop.

Barb said...

Yes Vickie, the pain was quite intense. In the year prior to my surgery, I was aware about every 15 minutes with the pain.

Most knee replacement patients wait up to and over 1 year. My surgeon placed me on high priority, so from the time of my consultation to the surgery date was just 3 months.

Printing

Print Posts