Friday, March 7, 2008

A Little Knee Update


This picture at left is a prosthesis used in a Total Knee Replacement (TKR) and has given me back the mobility that I haven't had in three years.

It astonishes me that this device can be surgically implanted to replace my knee and give me the ability to walk normally, climb stairs (leg over leg) and not even hold onto the railing.

Today it has been 20 weeks and 3 days since I had my knee replaced and my physical therapist congratulated me on my bend. When I lie on my stomach I can bend my good leg and my new knee up equally. This according to my therapist is better than expected after TKR surgery.

Normally a 110 degree bend is achieved. I am able to get just over 120 degrees and with a little push I can achieve 125 degrees. My goal is 140. May be a little ambitious, but I am a determined lady.

My exercise program consists of walking on a treadmill 4 times a week for between 15-20 minutes at 2.2 kph. As well I ride a recumbent bicycle every morning for 10 minutes. This really helps with my knee mobility. I sit on my couch with my leg on the coffee table 4 times a day with a 10 pound weight resting over my knee to stretch the muscles and achieve a really straight leg. As well there are numerous weight bearing and stretching exercises done twice daily.

All of the time spent in therapy as well as exercising is paying off as today I graduated to 2 treatments per week with my physical therapist - down from 3.

I think I just might break out a little bubbly tonight to celebrate.

No comments:

Printing

Print Posts