Friday, March 14, 2008

A Day In The Life

Hi, I'm Chelsea, Barb and Don's dog. I'm a Lhasa Apso and I am really the one who is charge around here. I just let them think they are. Thought I'd grab the PC and give you an idea of what life is like around here before Barb is finished riding her recumbent bike.

You know the saying "it's a dog's life". Well, let me tell you, it is certainly my life at this house.

I love my masters - Don and Barb. I talk quite a lot and have learned that it can pretty much get me whatever I want especially from Don. Barb - not so much, she's a little tougher than he is.

My day usually starts around 6:00am. The alarm goes off and Don gets up. Of course I'm stretched out on the bed, so I take this opportunity to have a great stretch, scratch a few places I won't mention here and have a little grooming session. After all, a girl has to look her best and I wouldn't want to look like a "schlumpadinka".

Well, me time is over so downstairs we go where I get my morning Dentabone - can't go around having bad breath or heaven forbid dirty teeth.

"Wait, what are you doing Don?" Oh no, he's picking up my dinner bowl.

"But wait, there's still some food left in there." Maybe if I talk a little louder than usual, he'll leave it down. No, looks like he's wrapping it up and putting it up on the counter. Barb will add a little more goodies at dinner time. A little kibble (no wheat - I'm allergic), rice or barley, some mashed veggies and then some real meat, right now I'm getting salmon - yummy.

Don is getting ready to leave, I'd better get out to the front door so I can get my morning walk and fresh air.

"Wait for me Don, don't go out that door!" Oh he's still getting his boots & coat on. "Will you hurry up .... get those laces tied .... where's your coat .... get it on .... find your gloves .... put them in your pocket ..... have you got your lunch ..... what about your laptop & briefcase?"

Oh oh, wait a second, Barb is handing Don some recyclables ..... Oh man, am I ever going to get out this door?

Finally, he's opening the door. I take off, but my feet are slipping on the tile floor, I need to slow down just a little so I can get some traction. Okay, that's better, here we go. Oh I love it outside. I don't even mind the snow .... it's kind of fun to stick my nose in it and then come out with lots of snow stuck to my snout. Barb doesn't like that so much .... she says I drip all over the hardwood.

Feeling much better now, after my morning bathroom routine.

I'm feeling awfully tired, so it's time for my morning nap. Barb's getting her coffee and heading to our favourite chair in the living room. I'll just hop up on her lap while she reads her book. This feels great .... she's got such a nice comfy lap.

Hopefully she'll read for a while and I can catch a couple of hours sleep.

What else will I do today? Hmmmm, think I round up all my toys, play with them for a while, then I'll have a little snooze with my friends. Seems like I sleep a lot more these days. Guess that's because I'll be 70 years old (human years) this year.

Hey was that my leash I just heard jingling? It was - oh boy, looks like Barb is going to take me for a walk. We don't go to far because her knee is still a little sore, so the walks are short but that's okay. I just love that she takes me out even for a short walk. All the wonderful smells out here, wow, think I smell that handsome Poodle from down the street ... "slow down a second Barb, I have to leave a little something to let him know I was here too."

Well, that walk was just great, now I can settle down for my afternoon nap.

The phone just rang and woke me up. I heard Barb say "see you shortly". That means Don is on his way home.

I'll sit by the front door until I hear the garage door opening. Better turn up the volume of my talking a little. Oh, I'm so excited I can hardly sit still so I'll run in circles .... maybe a little dancing on my back legs until I hear the screen door open and then the front door. He's home .... thank goodness, he's been gone forever. Don's trying to get his coat and boots off, but I'm talking really loud so I can get my hugs and kisses. When I talk really loud, I get the hugs and kisses before Barb.

It's good to be the "queen".

Now it's their dinner time .... I don't know how Barb does it, but dinner is always ready as soon as Don walks through the door. Does she know something I don't? Maybe it has something to do with that phone call?

Now I'm getting really excited .... they're going to have dinner .... so I get to mooch. I've got that "poor dog" look down pat. I cock my head a certain way .... let my long ears droop even more and make my eyes appear very sad. It always works with Don, he's gives me little bits .... Barb - not so much.

Well, dinner's done, the dishes are washed, Don's lunch is made and we're on our way up to bed. First I get my bedtime treat - usually a dog bone (again no wheat - I'm allergic). Then some play time with one or two of my toys or sometimes Barb or Don play with me by throwing one of my toys for me to fetch once or twice. I usually don't fetch that well, I really don't like anyone else to touch my toys .... after all they are mine. Now it's off to bed. Here comes Don, I move over to snuggle up right against his back where it's nice and warm, the feather comforter is so soft and I've got all my toys around me, I'm starting to feel really sleepy, see you tomorrow .......... zzzzzzzzzzzz.

No comments:

Printing

Print Posts