Sunday, March 2, 2008

Happy Family Day


Thinking back on our time in Ethiopia seems almost dream-like, driving to the orphanage to pick up Gabriella, tucking her into the sling that Sebrina brought along and then taking the cab ride back to the guest house. Were it not for Gabriella, the whole trip I'm sure would fade into my memory like a forgotten dream in the night.

I remember wondering would my heart would open as widely for this child as it did for my first 3 grandchildren. Once I saw her and held her in my arms, there was no doubting that this little girl was meant to be part of our family. She too filled up my heart just like my boys.

This is indeed a happy day today as I remember sitting with Sebrina in the guest house waiting for the driver that would take us to pick up Gabriella. That day as we waited I was transported back to when Sebrina was my little girl who couldn't wait patiently for very long for something that she wanted.

Finally, the driver arrived and we started our journey through smog so thick it hung over the city like pea soup, then the drive down a very dusty road, through very tall metal gates and into the yard of the orphanage where Gabriella was waiting.

Sebrina has invited us to share in this day's celebrations for a lunch. (Mammy made her devils food chocolate cake with whipped cream and raspberries).

As well, I painted a special picture for Gabriella to remember this day. I can't share it with you because her mom hasn't seen it yet.

Here are some of the things I absolutely love about Gabriella.

G - She's Girly

A - Angel

B - Beautiful

R - Rambunctious

I - Delicious - I know it doesn't start with I, but it is what she is.

E - Enchanting

L - Lovable

L - Lively

A - Always smiling

No comments:

Printing

Print Posts