Saturday, March 29, 2008

Hope For A Cure


April is Cancer Awareness month.

Volunteers across Canada go from door to door to raise funds for the Cancer Society.

One way you can show your support is to buy a bunch of daffodils.

Canadians recognize Daffodils as a symbol of hope in the fight against cancer.

In 2003 2.5% of men in Canada had a diagnosis of Cancer and 2.8% of women in Canada had a diagnosis of cancer in the previous 15 years. 1.0% of women diagnosed with breast cancer in the past 15 years are survivors and 0.8% of men diagnosed with prostate cancer in the past 15 years are survivors.

On the basis of current incidence rates, 39% of Canadian women and 44% of Canadian men will develop cancer in their lifetime. Breast cancer is the most common cancer worldwide as well as in Canada with 22,000 of Canadian women diagnosed each year.

These statistics are from the Canadian Cancer Societies website.

I write this entry in memory of my oldest sister Gina who passed away in 2005 from Acute Myelogenous Leukemia and also for my sister Fran who is a Breast Cancer survivor for 10 years.

I never imagined as a young person that my family would be touched by cancer. Having been through it now with 2 sisters, I realize that we must all do our part to beat this dread disease.

Buy a bunch of daffodils today from the Cancer Society to keep the hope of a cure alive or donate here.

2 comments:

Vickie LeBlanc said...

Thanks for the reminder Barb. All the month of April I always have a fresh bouquet of daffodils on the kitchen table. I buy about one bunch per week. My favorite aunt in the whole wide world died from cancer and I still can't believe she's gone...

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the MP3 e MP4, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://mp3-mp4-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Printing

Print Posts