Monday, February 2, 2009

Sneeze, Cough, Blow, Cough, Sniff, Sneeze


Well, it has finally happened to MOI.

MOI ~ who never gets colds, flu, infections ~ finally succumbed and have a whopper of a cold. It's in my chest, in my eyes, in my sinuses ~ I'm not positive but I think it might be in my toenails too!

I'm sure this is my punishment for being so cocky for years about never getting sick. I really cannot remember the last time I was sick from a virus.

It started with a very sore throat for three days. I immediately increased my Echinacea, Vitamin C and garlic thinking I could beat it. After three days I thought that a sore throat was it and would soon be over.

Then we went out for dinner Saturday night to our daughters. Within about an hour of being there I started to have what I thought was one of the worst allergic reactions to their four cats & one dog I've ever had. But alas no ~ it was not to be ~ by the time we got home, my eyes along with various other orifices on my head were running keeping me awake all night along with coughing, blowing, sneezing, etc....

So for the last few days, I have been living in a drug induced stupor ..... trying various concoctions to alleviate all these symptoms .... sinus pain, sinus congestion, dripping eyes & nose, tight chest, dry cough, chest congestion, popping ears with sloshing liquid, slight fever.

So yesterday morning I send wonderful husband to the drug store. He comes home with bags full of different remedies. I say I can't take them all, but he says he wasn't sure which one was best so he thought I should try a different one every four hours in order to determine which one worked best for me.

So here is what was in the bag.

Benylin All-In-One Day/Night
DayQuil/NyQuil
SinuTab
Advil Cold and Sinus
Ricola Cough Drops
Cold-FX

And then there's the increase in immune boosting supplements .... extra Vitamin C, Garlic, Echinacea and for good measure I doubled my Greens Plus. I made a big pot of chicken soup from a chicken breast (bone in) and I'm drinking that. So I'm into day three and hoping that things start to ease up soon.

So here is my report of what products are doing the trick.

I have to say that nothing is getting rid of all the symptoms, but that NyQuil sure does make me sleep. One little dose and ~ lights out. Maybe I should take this all day too, so I can sleep right through this virus. LOL! The SinuTab eliminates the sinus pain best, but the DayQuil works best for the all the other symptoms.

Now I have a very well stocked medicine cabinet for the next cold virus that hits our home.

And, I promise to never, never, never again say that I don't get sick. The "Virus Gods" must have heard me and decided to teach me a lesson in not being quite so cocky in the future.

4 comments:

Sebrina Wilson said...

You know Karen would say that sometimes it's HEALTHY to get sick. Sometimes your body just needs to slow down and take it easy. You have been pretty stressed so perhaps your body is trying to tell you something.. best to listen to it!!

Chris said...

Get well soon Barb. I find the Nyquil works best for me. I found a cool product called 'Cold Attack' which is basically echinacea that works wonders but you need to take it when you get the sore throat and it fends things off. Alain and I both swear by it. (Hope the virus Gods aren't listening!!)

Mamato2 said...

Oh girl, you KNOW I can empathize!! Slug back the nyquil and do get checked out b/c mine (infection)went into my lungs!

Vickie LeBlanc said...

I agree with Sebrina, sometimes we have to get sick so our immune system doesn't get too lazy and forget how to fight against these horrible viruses. That being said - stay warm and take some of those meds you have in the cabinet. But it will probably run its course anyways.

Printing

Print Posts