Thursday, February 5, 2009

What Do Dreams Mean?

Do you dream?

Do you believe that dreams have a meaning for your life?

My dream life seems to have provided a doorway to those in my life that have passed away. I have lost a grandfather I adored .... a sister I loved .... a brother-in-law who was a dear friend ... and very recently my father.

Following the death of my adored grandfather, I grieved for many, many months and especially because I had scheduled a visit to see him on the very weekend he passed away, so I did not get to see him before he died.

I struggled with his death and loss of time spent with him prior to his death for 3-4 months. Then one night, I had the most vivid dream of him. We had our visit .... he reassured me that he was happy, that he loved me, that he missed me and then he was gone. But following that dream, I had such a peace in my soul which washed over me providing a calm acceptance of his death.

So I remember wondering about the possibilities ............

Then when my sister died, I was fortunate to have many, many dreams of her and I spending time together, having tea, lovely conversations, which all served to give me a sense of peace in accepting her death.

When my brother-in-law passed away 1 1/2 years ago, Don & I received an upsetting phone call from his fiance to please come to their apartment. When we arrived the paramedics were still working on him, although it was clear they were not going to bring him back. I found myself tortured by the very painful night he died, my memories of sitting on the floor beside him, holding his hand all the while knowing he had slipped away before I had had the chance to say ~ "I love you", missing him and our wonderful conversations, the unexpected visits and great meals prepared by him after my sister died. We were great friends and I truly loved him. Every time I drive by his apartment, I feel the pull to stop and have a coffee and conversation with him.

But then last night I dreamed of John. We talked and visited, had a wonderful meal, expressed our love for one another. I remember standing with my arms around John, my head on his shoulder and feeling his very tight bear hug. I can still hear his voice and remember the words we spoke.

I wonder now will I still feel that pull to stop and have a coffee when I drive by his apartment in the future?

1 comment:

julochka said...

i had a very similar dream to yours..of having tea and lovely time...with my grandmother after she died. it left me feeling totally at peace with her being gone. i felt afterwards as if she was with me secure that she'd had a long and full life. aren't dreams wonderful?

Printing

Print Posts