Friday, December 26, 2008

Grateful Friday

Today I am so grateful for my sister.

Although we spent most of our life separated, today we have been fortunate enough to have found each other again.

I have a few memories of Frannie when I was a child, but as she is 11 years older than me we didn't share our childhood or teenage years together.

Whenever I think of her the most prominent thought to come to my mind is "giver".

There is not much she would not do for someone she loves.

When our oldest sister was dying from AML, Frannie was there ..... every day .... all day .... sitting with Gina, helping her with her bathing, reading to her, singing to her or just holding her. She gave her all the love she could in her last months and was there with her as she moved on to her next life.

And this is not the first palliative patient that she has cared for in their final days.

Fran herself has fought cancer and won. Years ago she lost a breast to cancer and she shared with me the words she wrote in her journal during that time ... her feelings, her fears, her triumphs - what a privilege.

She has suffered terrible financial losses resulting in the loss of their very home, but does she feel that the world is out to get her? Not at all - material possessions, financial gain are inconsequential to her. She is happy with her lot in life.

Today, she is am amazing woman who doesn't let these incidences in her life affect her ability to love deeply and give enormously.

She has a wonderful sense of humour and whenever we spend time together there is never a shortage of laughter and just plain old fun!

So today I say with an attitude of gratitude - thank you for this woman I am proud to call "Sister".

I borrowed these edited wishes from Moments of Perfect Clarity. (Julie I hope you don't mind).

Although I wish this for my sister, I also wish these for all family & friends dear to my heart.

1. Laughter every day.
2. A song to go with every occasion.
3. An ability to rest easy within herself.
4. To see her own worth.
5. To pick her loyalties wisely.
6. To be able to recognize her talents.
7. To use those talents to their utmost.
8. Rich, full encounters with interesting, engaging people.
9. Thick, full, fluffy hair.
10. To appreciate what others do for her.
11. To "use the difficulty." as Michael Caine once said on Parkinson
12. Patience.
13. Great love.
14. Building wonderful memories.
15. Peace within herself.
16. Many good friends.
17. People around her who stimulate her intellectually.
18. People around her who stimulate her emotionally.
19. Satisfaction.
20. Getting over the past.
21. Moving on to towards the future.
22. Happiness.

2 comments:

julochka said...

i don't mind at all...i'm glad you found the list to be of use! :-) you know i love lists! what a lovely grateful posting and tribute to your sister. a very nice way to spend the waning days of the year, being grateful....

Mamato2 said...

I hope you have told HER how special she is b/c I often find that the ones we feel this way about are the last to know it! :) What a lovely tribute to her. She sounds like an amazing woman.

Printing

Print Posts