Thursday, November 29, 2007

Six Weeks

Yesterday I had my six week check up with my orthopedic surgeon.

He was very happy with my mobility progress. I have surpassed 110 degrees on my bend which he was very happy with. I also was able to see the xrays of my knee which were taken yesterday.

Although I find it amazing what the medical community can do today, it was also difficult to see the "bionic parts" that were installed in my knee. When presented with these pictures, I could see why my knee has been so painful. The peg which attaches the bottom half of the prosthesis looks like it is inserted into my tibia about 3 inches. It really is quite large ... hopefully the time will come when I feel very accepting of this new knee. Right now it still does not feel like mine. I have a great deal of numbness around the knee and just knowing that my knee is gone and has been replaced by a prosthesis make me feel quite squeamish. My physio therapist keeps telling me to love my knee and take the time each day to rub lotion on it and get used to how it feels.

The one thing the surgeon was not happy with is my scar. It has developed keloid. What is a keloid you might ask?

Although the cause of keloids is unknown, it is thought that they are due to the body's failure to turn off the healing process needed to repair skin. When this occurs, extra collagen forms at the site of the scar, and keeps forming because it is not shut off which results in keloid formation. Keloid consists of hard, raised scars that can vary in colour ... pink, white, red or brownish. They usually are exquisitely itchy, painful and extremely sensitive. A keloid can keep growing as well.

The doctor expressed surprise that I was developing keloid. Keloids are most common in black skin not in the fair skinned population. Although upon researching keloids on the net, I found that tension on a scar can create an environment for keloid production. There has certainly been quite a lot of tension of my knee with all of the bending that is required during physio therapy.

There are a few options for this: silicone pads which may or may not reduce the keloid, cortisone injections, or plastic surgery. I will look into the silicone pads and hope that I can reduce this, but if not, I guess I'll just have to wear long skirts and pants from now on. No more shorts in the summer ... oh well .... cest la vie.

No comments:

Printing

Print Posts