Thursday, November 1, 2007

Knee Progress

Well, I had my first physiotherapy session yesterday morning. It was very difficult ... even though I have been stretching at home, this was much more difficult. The bend is the hardest thing to do right now, and the physio-therapist wouldn't accept only 80 degrees, so pushed my leg to 97 degrees .... ouch!!

Then after one hour of abuse there, I had to go to the doctor to have my staples out. I was very nervous about this and boy was I ever right to be, after 4 staples I nearly fainted from the pain ... oh well, keep your chin up Barb, there's only 28 more staples to come out. Then at home last night while I was applying vitamin e to my incision I discovered that the doctor missed one, so back again this morning for a little more abuse.

As well I have decided to go off the narcotic pain killers. They are so hard on my system, causing dizziness, nausea and making me feel like I am on a different plane than everyone else. Now to try to manage the pain on OTC products. I think after 2 days that I can do without constant chemical pain management, except when I go for therapy and need the pain masked and then as well I require something at night to help me sleep, otherwise the pain constantly wakes me.

There are however, some really terrific changes though as the days go by, I can now life my leg up onto the sofa or bed by itself. Up until 3 days ago, I had to place a long strap under my foot and then holding the two ends lift the leg up onto the bed or sofa as it was too painful to do without the strap... so I feel like I have accomplished something great. I can also put on a sock or slipper by myself now ... another great achievement.

Here's to better days ahead!!!

No comments:

Printing

Print Posts