Monday, November 5, 2007

T

T - Todd ... my first child. I was very young, only 20 when I had Todd, so didn't know too much about parenting. As well I had a very traditional husband, who did not ... "do diapers, get up at night, feed the baby or help around the house" during the early days. Of course coming from the ultimate "Ward and June Cleaver" home, I really didn't know any better.

Todd was a beautiful baby, with a lock of platinum blond hair, beautiful brown eyes, but due to my lack of knowledge, the lack of resources out there to help new moms 34 years ago, I ended up with a very colicky baby, who cried pretty much non-stop for 3 months. Although I loved him deeply, this was not the best introduction to parenthood. I tried to breastfeed, certainly had plenty of milk, but Todd and I did not get the latch right - again no resources only family doctor, so after a few weeks, I was encouraged to bind my breasts and dry up. An excruciatingly painful experience. You simply wrap a length of fabric tightly around your breasts (doctor used a diaper) and then simply stop feeding the baby. Now if you haven't gone through this I can't even explain how painful this is. After one of two feedings your breasts are pretty full, but no it's not over yet. Your breasts fill and fill and fill until they are engorged and you are in so much pain you can't even pick up your baby. As well, because your breasts are bound, it is difficult to take in a deep breath. This took about 4-5 days so I stayed with my mom, so she could look after Todd.

Well, he and I came through all these early ordeals just fine and today I am very proud of this young man. He didn't finish high school and without any formal education, he has self educated himself and through a lot of hard work now holds a management position with a prominent financial firm in Toronto. As well he has run his own web page creation and management company and can do things with a PC I can only dream of.

My son, we have a different relationship than the one I share with my daughter, but our love is deep and he is there in a moment if I need anything.

I love you Todd!

T - Television ... my guilty sin. I love "Dancing with the Stars, So You Think You Can Dance, American & Canadian Idol, 24, CSI, The Bold and Beautiful and anything on HGTV". Now you know!!!

T -Time .... I'm starting to hate how quickly time goes by. So after losing some family members recently, I am resolved to grab and enjoy every single moment of my life, enjoy my beautiful grandchildren as much as possible, enjoy every moment I am given with my children, my husband and hopefully following my knee replacement, get out there and enjoy a lovely walk through the ravine behind our home. That is my immediate goal .... nowhere near there yet, it's only just 3 weeks, but have managed a very short walk with my walker up and down our street.

No comments:

Printing

Print Posts