Thursday, December 6, 2007

Deck The Halls .. Silver Bells .. White Christmas

What a delicious time of year Christmas is.

The music is more sentimental, we feel more sentimental about spending time with family, even crotchety old Scrooges crack at Christmas - remember A Christmas Carol.

We feel more drawn to spending time with friends and family. We always try to get together even if just for a coffee with all our friends during the holiday season.

The decorations in our house start coming out the last week in November and I usually have the house completely decorated by December 1st, although I was a little late this year due to my knee.

It is the season for giving and as I have gotten older, I have found how true that is. As a child, all we think about is what Santa is going to bring us.

I remember going downtown every year to see the Christmas windows at Eatons & Simpsons ... a yearly tradition. Then of course we got to look around Toyland, and visit with Santa ... what a treat for a small child.

As my children came along, grew up and then had their own children my greatest gift is to enjoy their delight on Christmas Day when they open their presents.

However, let us not forget amidst our merriment - the underprivileged. The families who cannot provide a turkey dinner or even buy one present for their children. There are numerous charities that endeavour to help all year but especially at Christmas. The local food banks, Scott Mission, The Star's Christmas Wish, Toy Mountain, just to name a few in Toronto .... surely we all can designate a small portion of our Christmas spending to give to these charities.

As we get closer to the holidays, this year in particular, I am encountering difficulties trying to ensure that Christmas is enjoyed by every member of my family. This Christmas, my daughter Sebrina has decided that she would like to cook Christmas dinner which is just fine with me ... I've done it for 30+ years.

My dilemma ..... my 84 & 88 year old parents. My father is very disabled and cannot climb the 25+ stairs to get to Sebrina's, so that means that they will not be able to have dinner with us. Of course that leaves me with a terrible case of "the guilt's" as I have always included my mom & dad at Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners. However, I cannot imagine not spending the day with my grandchildren but must figure out how I will include my parents in the day.

We entertained going there for lunch ... Sebrina suggested that she make up dinner plates for them and we take them over. I'm having trouble figuring out, a) what is easiest for all concerned, b) what I can do to make them feel included & c) how to get my dad his turkey dinner which he loves.

I must admit after reading for years about the "sandwich generation", I certainly understand now just what that is. I am so torn between my loyalty to my parents and my love for my children and grandchildren.

Well, I'm sure it will all work out the way it is supposed to. Think I am going to go and make myself a Rum & Eggnog ... yummm!

Cheers everyone.

No comments:

Printing

Print Posts