Monday, July 30, 2007

I Can't Believe It's Over

I can’ believe that it's over! I finished reading Harry Potter and The Dealthy Hallows two days after it’s release and have spent this week pondering my thoughts and feelings before I wrote this entry. I turned the last page on the saga of Harry Potter with a sense of sadness.

This last book was fast paced and I enjoyed every nail biting, hair raising moment on my journey with Harry, Ron & Hermione as they traveled towards their ultimate goal - killing Lord Voldemort - originally, Tom Riddle.

When Harry finally conquers Lord Voldemort, I especially enjoyed that he demoted him from the all powerful Lord Voldemort to Tom Riddle. He would not give Voldemort the satisfaction of calling him by his chosen name but referred to him as ‘Riddle’. I found myself actually giving Harry a ‘way-to-go’ during this fierce and final battle.

Yes Potter fans, there were many deaths, some of whom I had not expected. The free house elf - Dobby returns, only to die at the hands of the nasty Bellastrix Lestrange.

I had expected that Petunia, (Harry’s Aunt), would become a major part in Harry’s overthrow of Voldemort, maybe even turn out to be witch herself, but alas no.

Harry Potter and the Dealthly Hallows is full of evil villains; the death eaters the worst of them. Of course, Voldemort in this final installment is filled with an unprecedented hate.

I cheered for Neville Longbottom as he championed against the evil Lord Voldemort. He has been a favourite character for me; goofy, but intelligent, fearful, yet full of courage. I also loved that he ended up a Professor at Hogwarts. It is a shame though that we are not privy to what the main characters are doing nineteen years down the track.

I did feel that the last chaper, ‘Nineteen Years On,’ was rather anticlimactic … perhaps deliberately so with no real closure to Harry’s story. I was left lingering, wondering…Have I expected too much? Many authors leave readers guessing … what becomes of the central characters and their lives. Having been part of Harry Potter’s life for so long, maybe I have come to expect more than I should. But then I remind myself, this is just fiction and Harry Potter’s life is no longer. His life is what the author created for him…and what an exciting life it was!
This was the best ride I ever took ….. did you enjoy the ride?????

No comments:

Printing

Print Posts