Thursday, July 12, 2007

Gardening

I love to garden!
I love to watch the first buds of spring start to open.
I love to watch as the snow slowly melts and receeds and I can see my beloved garden and smell the damp musty earth.
I love to get out my garden ornaments and get ready to put them back in their place of honour in my garden.
I love to hear the birds as they all arrive back in my garden. In fact this 3rd year in this home, the yellow finches which I feed regularly throughout the summer, actually came to my back door, attached themselves to my screen and sang rather loudly. Once I put the niger seed in the feeder they were content.

If I could just sit still long enough until everything actually bloomed. This beautiful orange lily surrounded by Lady's Mantle came from my daughter Sebrina's garden in their first home. She let me dig them up before they moved. After waiting through 2 summers of only one stem with one lonely little bloom on top, it has rewarded me this year with well over 25 flowers on 3 separate stems.

These beautiful daisies came from a friend who lives in Manilla. Due to minor flooding in their basement, her entire perennial garden had to be uprooted and transplanted. She generously offered me this huge clump of daisies.


Nothing draws me outside quicker than newly opened flowers, sitting under my new gazebo, with a good book and a cup of tea.
Every corner of my garden is attached to a memory of someone I love. In face when we first moved into this home our dear friend & real estate agent Lesley gave us a gift certificate from a local nursery. So a lovely garden which holds a place of honour in the front of our home, is called Lesley's garden.
This year Don even got involved. While nursery browsing one day he spied a red lily which he really liked so it is planted on the other side of the Lady's Mantle and blooms a few weeks before the orange one.

No comments:

Printing

Print Posts