Thursday, July 3, 2008

"We Are Gathered Here Together"

Well, here we go again .... the last of Don's brother's is getting married on August 16th.

Unlike Paul and Sarah's wedding when I was only 3 weeks post knee surgery and had to cover up a very nasty looking knee, I am well healed now, albeit with an 8" scar down the front of my knee. I do not need a dress to the floor, so I choose a lovely silk chiffon dress which just skims over my knees. It is a white, pewter, navy blue & aqua blue print and because it is sleeveless I purchased a white shrug to cover my shoulders.

Below are the gorgeous sandals that I am wearing with the dress and I think I actually may go barelegged. You must remember here, I come from the old school where ladies always wore stockings, but I see today that is not so much the style anymore.

Since I cannot lie in the sun nor is that a smart thing to do today, I may try to self tan my legs or failing that get sprayed at a salon. How wicked does that sound!!!!

These sandals are from Aerosoles, so are built for comfort. Remember I have very painful feet. I also purchased a silver/pewter leather bag which Sebrina saw on the weekend and loved. Although she did say it didn't look like the type of purse I usually carry. Too hip maybe????

And now for the pièce de résistance, these beautiful earrings. I found them on Etsy for way too much money, but after searching (with Don) through 8-10 jewellery stores and not finding anything remotely like them, he told me to just buy the &*$% things. I don't think he enjoyed the thrill of the hunt. They will match the aqua in my dress. The earrings are 11 x 16mm smooth drops of aqua blue chalcedony. Cascading over each one are dozens of 2mm freshwater pearls and 3mm apatite rondels and are 1 3/8 inches in total length.
As a side note, Chalcedony is a stone that is dyed to achieve these brighter colors.


The artist who made these earrings was great. She had them listed since April 24th, so I asked her for a discount. She gave me $35.00 off the original price, which eased the pain a little.

Because these are so unusual, I don't imagine I'll wear any other jewelry except my new aquamarine and blue topaz ring. I purchased the loose aquamarines & blue topaz about 5 years and finally decided this wedding was a good reason to have them set. I will post pictures when I pick it up from the jewellers.

I love these earrings so much that I am making another dress for the rehearsal dinner just to go with them.

Since I don't have the opportunity to get dressed up much as I'm home and don't work, occasions such as these are quite exciting and necessitate the purchase of an entirely new outfit, personality trait which unfortunately I passed on to Sebrina who has also purchased a beautiful new dress, shoes and jewellery to wear.


Here is the Butterick pattern (#B5206) for the dress I am going to make. I have a geometric black and white print for the body of the dress and a very small turquoise and white print for the accent. Both are a jersey knit which this pattern calls for.

It's raining here today, so I just might make this a sewing day, although I still have to finish painting my craft room, continue with the piecing on my quilt, clean up and finish drywalling a spot in the our semi finished basement and prepare for painting down there.

Wow ... I'm getting tired just writing about all this ... think I'll go make some coffee and read a book for a while before I get started.

4 comments:

Vickie LeBlanc said...

Holy Moly Barb, you could go to the wedding naked with those earings and people would'nt notice you're naked. Those earings are BEAUTIFUL. Can't wait to see pictures of you all dressed-up for the wedding.

If I had to wear stockings I would go nuts. Because of my gypsy/hippy nature I'm bare feet most of the time at home (summer and winter). Work and public places - well, I have to wear shoes but always bare legged. So bare legged or not, those sandals are going to look stunning.

My heart is still racing from seeing those earings...

Sebrina Wilson said...

I LOVE that dress!!! Maybe you can make one for me :) (not for the wedding of course)

Barb said...

Vickie, You made me laugh out loud with your first comment. And yes I too LOVE those earrings. I have never seen anything else like them. I thought I would try to make them myself (as I have made a bit of jewellery in my time), but could not find a big enough drop for the earring, so ..... well you know the rest of story. B

COLLEEN said...

Love it all.

The dress pattern -- love it. The earrings -- love 'em. The shoes -- yup, love them too.

You go girl!

Printing

Print Posts