Thursday, July 3, 2008

There's a Muscle Where?????

Okay, here's an update on my yoga adventures.

I just finished going through my DVD .... first watching it in its' entirety, then following along and performing only what I felt I could do, which in my case were 5 sun salutations, cat pose, downward facing dog and also tried to do the cobra.

It is interesting, I discovered there are muscles in places I wasn't even sure there were muscles. I also discovered how very out of shape I am and I also discovered that I probably need professional assistance/guidance with this adventure. However one very positive thing I discovered was that if I can master only some of these stretches it will certainly help my very stiff and painful back and maybe even help me regain my balance which I didn't realize I had lost.

Because of my inability to kneel on my artificial knee, I cannot really move smoothly from the sun salutation which slowly progresses into the downward facing dog.

So since we have a new yoga studio here in town, I'm thinking it would be a good idea to drop in one morning to talk to one of the yoga instructors. They offer a drop in class called "Gentle Yoga" which apparently is designed for pretzels like me. After watching and participating through this DVD, I'm not sure how to get to a point in Yoga that is smooth for me when I am unable to do all of the up and downs required during the different poses.

This is going to be much more challenging that I anticipated. As I write this the yoga instructor is lying on the ground with one of his legs straight out on the ground and the other one is ............ well, let's just say his nose is touching his knee on the other leg which is bent upwards and right down flat across his chest and head. Hurts just to watch this. I can't imagine ever becoming that flexible.

It is a beautiful DVD though, very relaxing just to watch and follow the breathing, listen to the music and watch the participants work out in a most beautiful environment - gorgeous blue skies, pure white sand with very little vegetation to disturb its' beauty.

3 comments:

Vickie LeBlanc said...

OK Barb, I think you've made the right decision to go for at least one visit with a certified instructor. He/She will be able to work with you in putting together a modified routine suited just for your abilities. The down-dog is my favorite asana. It's excellent for strenghtening the shoulders and the cobra is what helps my lower back (sciatica). I have to be honest and say that the boat is my worst pose of all - I don't like it at all but whenever we have it in our routine... I do it "with a smile".

I hear ya about the balance thing. It's something I have to keep working at.

All yoga asanas can be modified to suit everyone's abilities so hang in there. Even if you start by mastering your breathing techniques you're already well ahead.

Sebrina Wilson said...

You feel like a pretzel now but you will become more smooth with time. You will gain more balance with time. And you will gain more flexibility with time. You may never be able to kneel on your knee but you will be able to move smoothly through the poses when you gain more strength.

COLLEEN said...

Yoga classes are so much fun -- or at least they should be -- I really enjoy doing yoga in a class setting. If you have a class nearby and you can afford it then I suggest classes for sure.
Personally I cannot do any moves that require me to stretch my arms out behind me, I just have never developed that flexibility. We are each built differently. Yoga allows us to get in touch with our bodies and see what we can do with it. Don't feel that you need to be as flexible as the people on the DVD's. Yoga is not about competition.

Printing

Print Posts