Monday, February 1, 2010

I Am An Athlete

The temperature was minus 22 celcius on Saturday morning, crisp, cold, sunny and the kind of day that the snow squeaks when you step on it. But I needed to get outside for a walk, as I have only walked on the treadmill over the past few weeks.

So I got on my walking clothes and headed outside to walk. Well, let me tell you, it was freakin' cold out there. I had on my sports bra, a base layer shirt, a cool max shirt and then I put on a heavy sweater, over which I wore a fake fur coat, with a tube scarf wrapped around my mouth and ears. I wore a pair of cashmere lined leather gloves and covered them with a pair of hot paws mitts. And of course my Uggs to keep my tootsies warm. Do you know that I ended up taking off the hot paws and undoing my coat and just wearing it over my shoulders, my body got so hot. However, my face burnt from the wind chill and my thighs were numb and red as tomatoes by the time I got back. (Unfortunately I neglected to put anything on my legs underneath my Lululemon pants).

That was probably the fastest I have ever walked, I was so anxious to get back into the warmth of my home. I didn't even notice if my feet were hurting because I was soooooooooo cold.

I left before Don got up, so when I got back he was sitting reading with a cup of coffee and pronounced me a true athlete to go out walking in such frigid temperatures.

Then yesterday, I walked 4.8km in my new "ugly" shoes. BTW, that is what I named my new running shoes ~ ugly.

What a difference in my walking ability to have a proper pair of technical shoes, my feet hurt very minimally, the plantar fasciitis didn't start to burn until I had walked about 4km.

So, take a look at me ~ I'm an athlete!

7 comments:

BALLET NEWS said...

indeed you are ! Interesting to hear you talk of plantar fasciitis, it's such a pain ! In every sense of the word. My Chiropractor tests my shoes (and will only endorse certain brands of trainer) but says that rest is the key thing. Fat chance !!!

Colleen said...

woohoo!! you go girl!!

i too have been suffering with plantar fasciitis since last spring. it was so very painful and so intense and i finally broke down and went to the pharmacy to see if there was something i could purchase there to help with the pain.
here is what the pharmacist/owner recommended and it really has helped:

http://well.ca/products/profoot-halo-heel_13820.html

Vickie LeBlanc said...

You are wonder woman Barb. I love walking in the crisp cool (cold!!!) air. Don't you just feel so invigorated after. Plus, eating healthy also helps. Still doing your yoga ?

Barb said...

Colleen & Elise, I have had fasciitis for so long that I have learned to ignore it unless it really flares ~ it's just there, that bumpy, feels like walking on nails feelings.
Vickie, Right now I'm not doing the yoga, working on meditating along with my training for the next 5k and all the learning and preparation and cooking for a vegetarian lifetstyle seems to be taking up alot of my time. Still try to do sun salutation and downward facing dog each morning (when I remember). B

Alli said...

Well DONE!!! If you keep it up you will burn through your 5k walk! :)

Vickie LeBlanc said...

Meditation and learning to breath properly is more important than the asanas. You keep it up and keep us posted... if you have time ;-)

Unknown said...

I agree with Vikki. The Yoga Sutras lay out eight limbs on the path of yoga and 5 of those limbs have to do with meditation and only 1 with asanas.

Printing

Print Posts