Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Day 3 of The Big Detox

Well I have made it through day 3 and I am even having a little fun dreaming up recipes. I have managed to walk through Starbucks on my way into Chapters and not even stop for a coffee (which I love incidentally and is NOT on this detox).

Today for lunch using leftover brown rice and broccoli I came up with this recipe. It was delicious.

In a frying pan brown chopped onions, garlic, peppers, celery and firm organic tofu in olive oil for about 10 minutes. Add the rice and chopped broccoli. At this point I squirted in about 1 tblsp of Bragg's (non GMO, no gluten soya), cumin and freshly ground black pepper. When everything was crispy and brown, I threw in a few handfuls of organic baby spinach. When it is wilted, plate the mixture and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds and hemp hearts.

When this detox is over, I think this would be extra delicious with a bit of goat cheese crumbled in to melt a little ~ now I am drooling.

I think tomorrow night I am going to try stuffed peppers using tofu and brown rice.

This might be just the start I need to move to a vegetarian lifestyle ~ something I have thought about for years but just have never got around to actually doing it.

Having started this detox with a viewing of Food Inc., I have a whole new appreciation for how our food today gets from its' natural state to our table. The meat industry in particular I found quite difficult to watch, disturbing and upsetting at times. So far it has not been difficult to keep meat out of my diet.

If you are interested in how large corporations (some of which are named) have turned what should be a source of sustenance into a multi billion dollar conglomerate that has more power than even our governments, not to mention running over anyone or anything in their way, buying out those who don't agree with them, even lobbying to have laws passed to favour their way of running their corporations, then you must see Food Inc.

Watching how cows, pigs and chickens were treated just so we can eat meat made a huge impression on me ~ so much so that I am not sure I can eat meat again. I have lived my life disassociated from the fact that those lovely plump chicken breasts actually belonged to a living, breathing chicken once upon a time, a chicken that was given hormones to promote record breaking weight gain, a chicken that was kept in a chicken house in the dark, living in their own feces, sometimes being pecked to death.

I'll never look at a package of chicken breasts the same again.

1 comment:

julochka said...

i watched hugh fearnley-whittingstall's 3-part documentary on how the chickens are treated and like you, i will never look the same at a package of chicken breasts. nor will i buy them again. i'd rather pay a small fortune for an organic, free-range chicken once a month than ever put those on my table again.

your broccoli & brown rice concoction sounds fantastic. i tried detoxing once, but mine was lots of juices and i just really missed chewing. :-)

i'd also like to move to a more vegetarian lifestyle, but somehow, when i'm standing in the store, choosing something for dinner, it feels incomplete without meat. we've been so conditioned, haven't we?

i hope you'll keep writing about your detox and tell a little more about what plan you're following!

xox,
/julie

Printing

Print Posts