Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Are You Getting Your 5-9?


As I have said through past posts, I have wanted to adopt a vegetarian lifestyle for years, but just needed a push to get there. I stopped eating red meat last August, but was having trouble taking the final step. Going through a detox over the past 4 weeks, was the just the push I needed.

And now, another step in this journey to health "A New Juicer".

I am so very excited. This too is something that I have wanted to have for a long time. Years ago I picked up a very cheap one at a garage sale and although it juiced, I wasn't treated to what my new juicer treated me to this afternoon.

This new Breville Ikon Juicer is amazzzzzzzzing!

Not to mention how sleek and beautiful it looks on my counter.

And then of course, there are all the benefits that juicing provides my body. It is recommended that we consume 5 vegetables and another 3 fruits in our daily diet and yet the average person today only consumes 1 1/2 servings of veggies and generally no fruit on any given day.

Although consuming whole fruits and veggies is important, juicing gives us the minerals, vitamins, enzymes, essential fatty acids, carbohydrates, protein and more in a form that is much easier to digest. Much of the goodness is locked in the fibre of the fruit and veggies which goes through the body and is expelled. By juicing, all of this life giving goodness is released from the fibre and is in your bloodstream in less than 30 minutes.

Now, enough about the nutritional side and on to the juicing.

So, I got my beautiful new juicer home, opened it up, read the instructions fully as instructed, then washed all the removable parts in warm soapy water, dried them, reassembled the juice and got ready to juice. I then proceeded to wash a beet, 2 carrots, 3 stocks of celery, a handful of parsley, 1/3 of a cucumber, one apple and a 1" piece of ginger.

I learned something very important today as I turned on the machine and got ready to drop in the beet. That lesson was to make sure that I push down immediately on the inserted fruit/vegetable with the food pusher. I dropped in a beet and then reached for the pusher. Well before I got the pusher in the chute, beet bits started to fly up out of the chute and onto everything.
Lesson learned! Veggy in one hand ~ pusher in the other ~ now GO!

After this wee bit of fun, I got back to my first juiced, healthy drink. It was a delectable, slightly sweet, frothy, beautiful shade of garnet red, gastronomic delight. The ginger added just a little nip to the flavour.

One really nice feature of this juicer, is a specialized spout that allows me to juice directly into my glass, or for larger amounts I can take off the spout and juice into the jug.

As well, I am continuing to pursue my walking and this weekend I accomplished my furthest walk yet. On Sunday I walked 8.3km followed up by 5km on Monday. Although I really feel it today (probably pushed a little too far), I am very proud of myself and the distance that I covered.

Guess the "ugly" shoes are really working.

6 comments:

Alli said...

I have been thinking about getting a juicer lately. One of my friends who has recovered from cancer has one and raves about it. I think it is a great idea...no we just need to dig deep for it...maybe for my B-day!

Barb said...

Alli, You won't believe the difference in flavour when you juice a fresh fruit or veggie. It's incredible!!!! Barb xo

Vickie LeBlanc said...

I think I need to get me a pair of those "ugly" shoes. You are a walking machine Barb and it's not all in the shoes, you are doing the work. I love juiced fruits but I just can't get into juiced veggies, eeeeeeeyuk. I want to work on that though.

Unknown said...

I love juiced veggies Vicki! Try a combo of tomato, cucumber, kale, celery, carrot and beets. It's sweet and yummy ;)

Barb said...

Vickie, I totally agree with Seb, that combo is one of my favourites too. Sometimes I add a wee piece of ginger which gives it a little extra zing!

Colleen said...

ha ha ha ha ..... i have had that same experience of the first veggie or fruit (i think mine was little tomatoes) flying up out of the chute and making a mess.

yes, it is very important to experiment and find the combinations of veggies that you like.
my favourite is:
tomato, carrot, celery, bell pepper, beet, parsley and cucumber, sometimes with a bit of lemon added.

Printing

Print Posts