Thursday, January 21, 2010

Why Should I Detox?


Our bodies naturally detoxify everyday as part of a normal body process. Detoxification is one of the body's most basic automatic functions of eliminating and neutralizing toxins through the colon, liver, kidneys, lungs, lymph and skin. Unfortunately in this day and age, with the pollution found in the air, water and the food we eat, our bodies have a hard time keeping up. Our chemicalized diet with too much animal protein, too much saturated and trans fats, too much caffeine and alcohol radically changes our internal ecosystem.

Body systems and organs that were once capable of cleaning out unwanted substances are now completely over-loaded to the point where toxic material remains inside our tissues. Our bodies try to protect us from dangerous substances by setting it aside, surrounding it with mucous and fat so that it will not cause an imbalance or trigger an immune response (some people carry up to 15 extra pounds of mucous that harbours this waste).

Detoxification through special cleansing diets and colonics is the best way to assist your body's natural self-cleaning system. It is especially important for immune-compromised diseases like cancer, arthritis, diabetes and chronic fatigue. However, even if your diet is good, a spring cleanse can revitalize your system and rid your body of harmful bacteria, viruses and parasites.

I have fasted in the past and also done the elimination diet. With the start of the new year I joined a group in my community who are detoxing together. This detox is very similar to the elimination diet ~ no sugar, no wheat/gluten, no diary. We will do this together for 4 weeks.

As well, I have discovered another method of detoxing through bathing, which I will add to my next 4 weeks. The detox bath was developed by Louis Kuhne, (a German naturopath) in the 19th century to in an effort to heal the hereditary stomach and lung cancer's that were devouring his body. Not only did he succeed in alleviating the symptoms, but he went on to devote his life in treating the ill.

Here is the recipe and instructions.

1/8 cup of fresh ginger, 1 cup Epsom salts. Add to water as hot as you can stand.


Before submersing in the water, dry brush your skin (always towards the heart). This helps with lymphatic drainage.

Now, get in the tub (make sure you keep a bottle of water handy in case you get thirsty). After 30 minutes, get out and rub your body vigorously with a towel until your skin turns red. Wrap up and get into bed, covering your body with a blanket. You will most likely sweat for an hour or so. If you can fall asleep ~ that's great, your body will be eliminating toxins through your skin.


2 comments:

Colleen said...

my wish for you this year Barb is the best of health, happiness, joy and peace.

blessings.
colleen xox

Alli said...

I have some ginger in the fridge! Sounds like something I would like to try in combo with meditation!

I really appreciate all of your posts and have been focusing on trying to lead a healthy life and get into good habits before any illness sets in. I have been surrounded by people who have, had and have died of cancer. It has been a very prominent part of my life these last few years with my dad, colleagues and other family members falling ill. It has really awakened my awareness of lifestyle and especially diet. I will be posting about some of this soon.

BTW your scarf has been keeping me very warm on my daily walks to work! :) Again thank you so much! XO Alli

Printing

Print Posts