Tuesday, January 19, 2010

New Year - New Goals


Well here we are at the start of another decade.

Did any of you make new years' resolutions? I am not a believer in making resolutions. Too many start off the new year with resolutions and within short order they are forgotten. Why set yourself up for a failure by setting unrealistic goals.

Now, having said that I am embarking on another leg in my journey towards good health. Having lost 15 pounds and maintained that loss for over 2 months, I am now prepared to take on the next 10. So I guess you could say I am making a resolution to lose yet another 10 pounds.

I also signed up for my second 5K walk in April, so I must stick to my walking program. Over the Christmas holidays I fought a case of acute bronchitis and walking pneumonia, so unfortunately my exercise took a major hit and I'm just getting back at it now. I walked 2 miles this morning and tonight I am nursing stiff knees and sore calves.

As well, I have started to meditate. I came upon meditation through a lovely woman that I met through a joint friend. She has a lovely, relaxing way of leading a group meditation which I participate in one morning each week. As well I am working towards incorporating sunrise and sunset meditation into my daily routine. I find that I spend most of my time rushing towards the next thing on my list, so meditating is teaching me to "just be".

Those who practice meditation on a regular basis report that their ability to concentrate increases and the mind becomes progressively sharper and more under control, including freedom from unwanted thoughts, emotions and influences, and with a much higher ability to enjoy the present moment. Research has shown that meditation contributes to reducing stress and achieving deep relaxation and a profound state of rest. Meditation gives us the tools by which we can start to enjoy fuller, happier lives and better relationships. Many people have noticed dramatic improvements in their lives and health. People who meditate look and feel much younger than their age!

Meditation calms the mind, relaxes and dissolves tension from the body (and who can't use a little less stress/tension today). With regular practice, the mind begins to experience much higher levels of peace, tranquility and serenity, not only during meditation itself but also during daily life. There is a progressive and profound increase in happiness, tolerance, love, understanding, fearlessness, and inner powers and abilities.


This moment contains all moments ...... C.S. Lewis

No comments:

Printing

Print Posts