Monday, December 17, 2007

Silent Beauty

I'm sitting looking outside at the splendour that Mother Nature created for us yesterday.

Although it wasn't pleasant for those who had to be out in it, it was an amazing snowstorm, the likes of which I haven't seen for many years. I remember snow like this in my childhood, where we could play outside digging tunnels, making snow houses, snow angels and snowmen.

This morning there isn't a whisper of a breeze, the trees stand like stately sentinals keeping watch over this winter wonderland.

I look for my miniature Blue Spruce which is approximately 3 feet tall. Where has it gone ... wait I see the tip peaking through the surface.

As I look at the horizon over snow covered rooftops the sky is the most beautiful colour of lavender. The starkness of the leafless trees against this colour inspires me to pick up my paints and canvas.

There are drifts of snow across my back garden which will stay throughout the winter insulating the plants from the freezing temperatures.

As I sit here drinking my coffee, I see one of our wild neighbours fly across the creek ... a blue heron. I think she has a nest somewhere upstream but we've never found it ... we just watch her come and go once in the morning and then once in the evening.

There is such still & silent beauty in this winter scene. The trees and shrubs standing silently, their saps frozen waiting patiently for the spring when life will burst forth. Where are the little creatures ... have they made a warm winter home beneath the snow, where they will wait until the spring thaw.

There are beautiful & amazing patterns across the drifts, swirls & creases, peaks & valleys. The snow has blown up against my windows and has started to slide down looking like swags of draped silk. On some of my windows I see the evidence of Jack Frost who has meticulously drawn a multitude of feathers twisting, tumbling and kissing each other across my window.

The sun has hit the snow and it is alive with diamond like sparkling.

It is truly a spectacular feast for the eyes outside right now. Unfortunately I cannot stay inside and enjoy this, but must bundle up and get going to my physio appointments today.

I think I would much rather stay inside, sipping coffee where it is toasty warm and still beautiful. I don't imagine after going outside and driving that I will think it is as beautiful as I do now.

2 comments:

COLLEEN said...

I was absolutely captivated by your words - you were the storyteller and I was the child, hanging on every word. Mesmerized! Entralled!
And then I was jolted back to reality with you when you changed the tone of the story -- off to physio.
:-(
Thank you for the lovely story, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I would suggest that you start writing, but you already do.
:-)

Anonymous said...

Oh, Barb! Your beautiful words and photos captivate me! I really enjoy visiting your blog site; I find it so soothing to absorb your take on life! Please continue!

Chris Leclerc from Rocky Mtn House, AB

Printing

Print Posts