Sunday, December 9, 2007

The Thief In The Night


I'm sitting here at 11:00 feeling very frustrated. My fibromyalgia (FM) is reaching a peak this week. It has been rearing it's ugly head since the surgery but seems this week to be particularly intrusive. Every muscle in my body is singing and it's not a song I like. My fatigue is overwhelming, but when I lie down in bed, sleep eludes me.

Good health & well being seem to be just beyond my reach.

FM is without a doubt one of the most frustrating and elusive health issues I have ever dealt with. There are times when I am in complete control and keep a tight reign on this intruder in my life. I can enjoy my life with gusto ... enjoy my grandchildren ... enjoy a great shopping expedition ... spend time with my crafting endeavours ... and then, other times like a thief in the night, it comes to me ... robbing me of my energy ... taking away my enjoyment of life .... interfering in anything I try to accomplish.

At times just the thought of getting up to make a cup of tea is overwhelming. Between my knee pain and my FM, I look up the 14 stairs which I must climb to get to my bed and they overwhelm me .... they are my Mount Everest.

Usually, I am a firm believer in "mind over matter" and having a positive mental attitude, but after weeks of fighting with this monster, I am starting to feel the need for a break ... a break in the pain ... a break in the fatigue .... a break in my lack of desire to do much of anything and a break in my lack of energy.

With all the excitement of the coming Christmas season and the enjoyment of spending time with friends and family, I am very ready for my FM to just plain go away. My mind is very excited about upcoming events, but my body just can't get with the program. Unlike a headache where an Advil will ease the pain, there is nothing ... no magic pill I can take to make this go away. FM will continue it's assault on me and will only receed into the background when it is ready ... I have no say in the matter.

This night is singularly difficult with the added bonus of chest wall pain which also brings on heart palpitations.

Last week, I restarted treatment with my chiropractor and massage therapist. I have not had an adjustment or massage therapy since my surgery 7 weeks ago. This is a great step forward to ensure that I once again take control of my FM. I am going to go twice this week as well as my three physio treatments and hope that within two to three weeks, I will start to gain control again, that is if all the running around for treatment doesn't knock the stuffing out of me (LOL).

Well, it is nearly midnight, and I'm starting to feel the twinges of tiredness, not to mention that my little "complainfest" has gone on long enough.

So I'm off to climb my Mount Everest, to lay my aching body down in my very comfy bed to sleep perchance to dream???

No comments:

Printing

Print Posts