Monday, April 6, 2009

How Was Your Weekend

So, what did you do this weekend?

As you can see from this picture, Don was working on a roof. He helped his father build a shed in 1992, but unfortunately it sustained a little damage to the roof and was leaking. As the weather was gorgeous yesterday they decided to undertake this project.

Here's a picture of Don on the roof cutting out the damage so they can replace it. It took him and his brother from early morning until 6:30 last evening to complete the job.

He looked about 5" shorter when he got home, he was so sore.

We are both slowly coming to the conclusion that we are getting past the age of doing all these home projects.

As for me, I spent all day Saturday and yesterday morning hauling cedar shrubs, raking the garden, bagging the garden refuse for compost, turning over the soil, finishing the taping and plastering on the bulkhead in our basement, then applying two coats of Venetian plaster, removing and rehanging a door in a partition wall I built last week.

Then, after about 6 hours of work ~ my fibromyalgia (FM) hit full force and I seized. This is actually not such a bad thing. In the past I would never have been able to accomplish this much work, so I am quite pleased that I could finish as much as I did before the FM set in.

So today, I am taking Arnica (homeopathic remedy) and not moving too much ~ it even causes me pain to take a deep breath. It will probably take a day or two to recuperate.

The second part of my weekend was spent watching a movie probably because I couldn't do much else. So what did I chose to watch?

"The Secret Life of Bees".

Based on Sue Monk Kidd's ravishing debut novel which is set in South Carolina in 1964. "The Secret Life of Bees" tells the story of Lily Owens (played by Daykota Fanning), whose life has been shaped around the blurred memory of the afternoon her mother was killed. When Lily's fierce-hearted "stand-in mother," Rosaleen (played by Jennifer Hudson), insults three of the town racists, Lily decides they should both escape to Tiburon, South Carolina ~ a town that holds the secret to her mother's past. There they are taken in by an eccentric trio of black beekeeping sisters who introduce Lily to a mesmerizing world of bees, honey, and the Black Madonna who presides over their household. This is a remarkable story about divine female power and the transforming power of love ~ a story that women will share and pass on to their daughters for years to come.

This is one of my favourite books and I have been anxious to see the movie. Originally we were trying to set up a "girls night out" to watch this, but couldn't get everyone together, so I went ahead on my own.

May I say ~ What a delicious movie!

Now I know you're probably thinking, "but Barb, it didn't get very good reviews".

One reviewer said it has charm but is largely maudlin and sticky sweet. Another critic described it as sappy, syrupy, sentimental and sermonizing.

However, Roger Ebert said "I have great affection for this film because it honors a novel that many people loved for good reasons. It isn't superior, nor does it dumb it down. It sees what is good and honors it. The South was most likely not like this in 1964. That was the year the Civil Rights Act was passed, and a year before the Voting Rights Act became law. The Boatwright farm, as I said, is really a dream. But in those hard days, people needed dreams".

So, what do I say ~ watch this movie. If you love love, charity, looking beyond skin colour, feeling good and feel good movies ~ you really must see this.

Queen Latifah plays an amazing role. She is regal, majestic, loving, wise, fiercely protective of those she loves and a dreamer ~ I could go on but will stop with that. Daykota Fanning is simply marvelous as Lily. This child's breadth of acting knowledge and believability just continues to increase as she takes on more challenging acting parts. I see this young woman moving towards a fantastic adult actor. Roger Ebert has compared her to Jodie Foster ~ no small compliment.

So, all in all I will watch this movie again and try to set up another "girls night in" so we can get together to laugh, cry and feel good while enjoying this movie.

2 comments:

Colleen said...

the secret life of bees is one of my most favourite books. i am reluctant to see the movie because i loved the book so much.
:-)

Barb said...

Colleen, I too absolutely love the book ~ have read it a few times, however the movie was very true to the storyline albiet condensed. I laughed, cried just like in the book and found the actors that were chosen to play the different parts were perfectly suited. They seemed to capture the essence of the characters they played, especially Queen Latifah & Daykota Fanning. Good luck on deciding whether or not to watch the movie. Barb xoxo

Printing

Print Posts