Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Camp Out

Last night our youngest grandson Zander came over for a sleepover. This is following on the heels of having Ryan (our oldest) a couple of weeks ago.

Zander decided (with a little help from Mammy) that he wanted to to have a camp out in the family room.

So off we went to Canadian Tire to purchase flashlights to use in the dark ~ air mattresses (sleeping on the floor doesn't cut it with me) along with other sundry camping paraphernalia.

When we got home we inflated the air mattress and I of course got to sleep (well lay all night) on the sofa. We turned out all the lights and used our flashlights and watched "Spongebob" and "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles". What fun!

I decided a while ago that I would take one child at a time for special Mammy time. This works well for me and hopefully for the children too. They will get one on one time with Mammy and Poppa with no distractions from their siblings. And we get to plan special things just for us. I let them choose three movies to watch, I let them choose what they want for dinner (within reason) and then they get to choose one treat.

Now that they are older, it is so much fun to have them one at a time to spend an overnight with. It gives me more opportunity to really get to know them as individuals. When they are all together it is hard to see who they really are, so this is such a wonderful opportunity and I am so grateful that I am able to do this.

Zander is a very caring little individual. He could not stop running up and down to my mother's room to check on her, to offer her one of his mints, to see if she would like to come downstairs to watch a movie with us. And then when she wanted to rest, he kept asking when she was going to come back down. After we came back from an excursion out, he ran right upstairs to tell her he missed her.

So, all in all we have had a fun time ~ as I write this Zander is still having fun letting Chelsea chase the flashlight beam around the floor. (Sidenote ~ Chelsea thinks she's a cat and loves chasing any beams of light that might move).

One overnight seems to be just right for the boys ~ they miss each other and start showing boredom after one day, but it is still so much fun for me to have them all to myself just for one day.

Looking forward to my next visit with Jayden.

3 comments:

Vickie LeBlanc said...

I wonder who had the most fun out of that camp out :-) Your love for the grand kids is soooooo real when you talk (write) about them.

Alli said...

What an excellent idea! Getting to know them each individually is so important...not only that but they get to know you better too. I love it and hope to hear more about your little adventures! :)

Mamato2 said...

Aw, sweet! I had to laugh at the doggy chasing the light beam. My cat used to throw herself 5 feet up the wall trying to catch one! Sigh. Miss her :)

Printing

Print Posts