Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Watercolour Quilting


When I first decided to make a quilt, I had in mind a quilt with undulating waves of graduated colours.

I have since found out that this is called Watercolour quilting. When I finish my quilt, this style will be my next quilting attempt. I imagine this will take a lot of fabric patterns, so may look to buy coordinated jelly rolls (this is rolls of pre-cut strips of fabrics). It is a good thing that I started on the pattern I am working on now, there are not too many pieces (315 in total) so I can get some practic on piecing. I believe a watercolour quilt may have many hundreds of pieces depending upon the size of piece I choose.

From the research I have done, I can see that the more & smaller the pieces are, the better the shading will appear.

The quilt in the picture demonstrates the beautiful way watercolour quilting blends colours one into the other.

This picture was borrowed to illustrate watercolour quilting from a quilter displaying her beautiful quilts on Flickr.

Now that I've discovered this style, I'm excited to get my first quilt done and get started on this one.

Maybe I'll just start choosing, purchasing and saving fabrics for this next quilt.

Oh no, I think I have caught the quilting bug ... is there any cure???

3 comments:

COLLEEN said...

Wow, that quilt is absolutely gorgeous Barb; it is beautiful work like this that makes me want to take up the craft/art of quilting too. I can't wait to see your finished quilt and then your next project! You and Sebrina are just "on fire" with the crafting...hee hee...I am still slowly working on my afghan.

Barb said...

Colleen, I just bought 100 2" squares to start this quilt. Now I just have to wait out the shipping time. Somewhat like Seb, I'm not too patient. Hopefully it comes soon. B

Vickie LeBlanc said...

That's going to be one amazing project you are about to encounter but sure worth it in the end. I just love the colors in the quilt you are working on now. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Printing

Print Posts