Sunday, August 19, 2007

New Knee


Well, the day has finally come. After all of the pain and difficulties in the past 2 years with my knee, the surgeon I saw on Friday August 17th, told me I need to have a Total Knee Replacement (TKR), despite my younger age. The first surgeon had said he would not do one, but this doctor agrees that quality of life is important. I decided to see a second surgeon because following scope in February of this year by the first surgeon, I have struggled with regaining my mobility. As well the pain following the scope has been almost intolerable, wakes me up constantly at night. This doctor also said that a TKR is a very difficult surgery, much harder than a hip replacement. He is the third person who has told me this.

Am I scared? You betcha!
He has put me on a high priority list because the pain constantly interrupts my sleep ... approximately every 30 minutes or so and as well my ability to walk is slowly getting worse and worse. That means that I will be having surgery sometime within 2-4 months.

Well, here is my bitch for the day .... a big issue for me right now is that this injury according to my rheumatologist and my orthopaedic surgeon is a direct result of the automobile accident in January 2005 and the other party involved will accept no responsibility and as well have pretty much shut me down. That means my insurance company is stuck paying all of the expenses that have been incurred since the accident (unfortunately they will only pay so much - so some of the cost is now falling on our shoulders). I did speak to a lawyer who thinks I have a pretty good case, but if I lose, I would incur hundreds of thousands in court fees, plus his fees, so you can see my dilemma. I don't feel that the other party should get off scott-free, but also don't want to have to live with the possibility of what would be the outcome of initiating a law suit. Don & I have talked and both feel that they shouldn't get away with this. We are not really looking for a major financial settlement .... an admission of guilt and maybe paying my medical expenses instead of my insurance company footing the bill for an accident that I was not at fault for. According to my Inusrance Adjuster this is considered a life changing injury and the other company should accept responsibility for this. He spoke with their corporate lawyer and was told that I have grounds for a positive case against the other party's insurance company. Okay, now that I've got that off my chest I feel much better.
Now to get ready for this upcoming event. I need to ensure that I eat very well, so my body is prepared for the big repair, try to knock off a little weight, which will certainly make the months and months of therapy easier, get in home help in place for after the surgery. I spoke with my older brother yesterday who underwent a TKR 3 1/2 weeks ago. He said that he needed a lot of help for approximately 1 1/2 weeks when he came home. There is beds to move to the first floor to set up a room for me, there is equipment to purchase or rent, ie, walkers, canes, aids to help with dressing, grab bars for the tub, the list goes on and on.
I'll just have to suck it up with regard to the after surgery pain and remember that I have been living with a blow torch in my knee for 2 years which has increased in intensity since the arthroscope surgery in February of this year, and hope that a few weeks of intense pain will reward me with the ability to live my life again the way I want to, walking the dog every morning, shopping and actually enjoying it, climbing the stairs without wincing at each step and most of all getting a good nights sleep. Ah heaven!!!

No comments:

Printing

Print Posts