Friday, June 8, 2007

A Small Tribute to Edna

A dear, dear friend of mine "Edna Giles Tolley" passed away in June 2004 from Acute Mylogenous Leukemia (AML). She was a published poet, a well known artist & art teacher. At 82 she was still working with "seniors" at Union Villa in art therapy classes.

When she was diagnosed she knew she had lived her best life possible and chose to accept the inevitable outcome of AML. She was gone in six weeks.

Edna, I miss you, the memories we created and the friendship we shared will remain forever in my heart.

While in the hospital slowly slipping away she penned this poem:


I will not walk this path e'er long
As time relentless
Moves ever on
And I must meekly follow

I once trod with jaunty step
Path now overgrown
Touched trees so small
Now reaching to the sky
I touch trees grown tall

Trees too must follow time
And all the small
Woodsy things
They too know
But will not speak

Now on each revolving hour
I may tarry as is my want
And taste the gentle peace
As time and I move
Ever on

Still do I walk in
the mossy grass
Beneath the whispering trees
Finding the gentle peace remains

When the veil would
Slip o'er these eyes
And lips are muted forever
Know I see this scene e'er more
Laugh and sing
With the rain
As ever I always did

Edna Giles Tolley, June 2004

No comments:

Printing

Print Posts