Monday, June 18, 2007

Arthritis Pain

Well, I just returned home from a visit to Mt. Sinai hospital to see my rheumatologist about the pain in my knee. She injected me with cortisone. I do not normally like to resort to chemical treatments, but at this point of not sleeping, unable to walk, constant flaming pain in my knee ... I am quite ready for anything ... up to and including have me knee removed (LOL). It is amazing what pain will drive one to.

Not only did she say that she has never seen a knee go from moderately healthy to requiring a knee replacement in just over a year, she feels quite strongly that the car accident I was involved in, last January of 2005 was the springboard for all of my knee woes, due to the lateral movement I sustained after being hit broadside. She likened it to a whiplash with quick forward and back slashing of the neck. My knee experienced a very similar effect with a quick back and forth sideways motion which tore ligaments, cartiledge and broke off small fragments of bone.

Although I don't agree with using Cortisone ... it can have a weakening effect on tendons if injected directly into them. It can also soften cartilage when injected into a joint. There is also a risk of tendon ruptures as a result of a cortisone shot. Long term use of cortisone injections can increase the arthritis , so care must be taken by the physician in not over injecting the same site.

Right now, the local anesthetic is wearing off, so I must get back to my ice pack and hopefully will not experience an increased amount of pain from the injection for the next few days.

No comments:

Printing

Print Posts