Sunday, September 23, 2007

Surgery & Homeopathy

Well, October 16th the date for my total knee replacement is drawing nearer.

After much thought and speaking with my homeopathic doctor, I've made a decision to use homeopathic remedies right up to and shortly after my surgery to stimulate my immune system & healing resources in an effort to accelerate my recovery.

Why, you might ask am I choosing to use homeopathy???

First, let me explain what homeopathy is and why is works so well. (I have had great success with homeopathy).

Homeopathy is based on the "Principle of Similars". Another way to view "like cures like" is that symptoms are part of the body's attempt to heal itself ... for example, a fever can develop as a result of an immune response to an infection, and a cough may help to eliminate mucus ... and medication may be given to support this self-healing response.

Key concepts of homeopathy include:

Homeopathy seeks to stimulate the body's defense mechanisms and processes to prevent or treat illness.

Treatment involves giving very small doses of substances called remedies that, according to homeopathy, would produce the same or similar symptoms of illness in healthy people if they were given in larger doses. Remedies are available in cestesimal potencies, that is, successively diluted by a factor 100. For example a common potency is 30c which means that the actual remedy is diluted 30 times by a factor of 100.

At the deepest level, these remedies nudge the immune system ... not only the white cell populations, but also the mental and emotional states that keep those populations healthy into greater responsiveness and readiness so that disease is kept away or prevented from recurring. Unlike conventional medicines which suppress the immune system, homeopathy works in harmony with your immune system.

Homeopathic treatment is individualized or tailored to the patient. Practitioners select remedies according to a total picture of the patient, including not only symptoms but lifestyle, emotional and mental states, as well as other factors.

Homeopathy is completely safe. Even babies and pregnant women can use it without the danger of side effects. Homeopathic remedies can also be taken alongside other medication without side effects.

Homeopathic remedies are not addictive - once relief is felt, you stop taking them. If no relief is felt, you are probably taking the wrong homeopathic remedy.

So as I draw closer to my knee surgery, here is what my homeopath has suggested:

Arnica for the bleeding, bruising and pain post-surgery.
Ferrum Phosphoricum for post-surgical infection risk.
Bach's Rescue Remedy for pre-surgery anxiety.

I'm feeling less anxious as this date draws nearer. My knee pain continues to increase, so the surgery is a means to an end for this constant pain.

Using homeopathy is encouraging to me to view this surgery as a positive step in my health & pain management. I feel much more positive about the outcome of this surgery, now that I have made this decision.

Conventional, mainstream medication has its' place, but I do prefer natural methods and now, knowing that I am integrating homeopathic with mainstream ... my concerns and anxiety have lessened considerably.

No comments:

Printing

Print Posts