Saturday, December 19, 2009

Progress

Well, I continue to work towards a state of good health.

I continue my walking program that I started in the summer and I`m proud to say that last Sunday, I walked my first 5k. I registered for this walk in Whitby, Ontario, but unfortunately at the last minute, it was cancelled due to icy walkways & trails. With this cancellation came a problem - I had sent out an email to friends and family asking for donations to Toy Mountain (a charity run by the Salvation Army to provide toys to underprivileged children at Christmas), and had my own little Toy Mountain at my home to donate.

I was so disappointed that the walk was cancelled, but having all these toys, I didn`t feel right not going on my walk. So down I went on my treadmill and did my walk - 5.6K to be exact.

At the halfway mark, the phone rang and it was one of Don`s brothers who with his family had gone out to cheer me on at my race. Also one other brother and his family came along too. They showed up at our place just as I completed my walk and as they came in the door, Rebecca, their oldest held up a big sign covered with Christmas tinsel which read `Go Auntie Barb Go``. This beautiful sign is now proudly hanging on my basement wall - my trophy for my first walk.

An emotional moment for me upon completion with this very wonderful display of support.

So now with my first 5K walk completed, I have registered for another in April and continue to walk on my own 2 times a week - about 3-4Km each time and as well riding my recumbant bike 5Km once a week.

The weight is very slow to come off, but to date I have lost 17 pounds and don`t plan on stopping. I do not have a weight loss goal, my first and foremost goal is good health and the weight loss is secondary (a little extra bonus), so wherever it stops is where I`ll be content.

Merry Christmas everyone and all the best for the new decade ahead.

2 comments:

Colleen said...

Fantastic, Fantastic, Fantastic Barb. I am so happy for you.

A very merry christmas and happy new year to you!!

Love Colleen xox

Alli said...

Congratulations! Well done!

Although I am late for this one. I will be cheering you on in April from Halifax! :)

Printing

Print Posts